Beginner Running Program in St. George, MO
Beginner running program in St. George, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost mental health, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in St. George, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in St. George, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in St. George, MO
Going from the couch to the track may give pause to some St. George, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about tenacity, progressive improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many benefits to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and feels less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and improved mental health.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in St. George, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our St. George, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in St. George, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in St. George, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more strenuous running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the St. George, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in St. George, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in St. George, MO
Starting a beginner running program in St. George, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in St. George, MO, contact us online, or call the Axes location nearest you.