Beginner Running Program in St. Louis, MO
Beginner running program in St. Louis, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost mental health, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in St. Louis, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it probably won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in St. Louis, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in St. Louis, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may seem daunting to some St. Louis, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about determination, constant improvement, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly the distance you run as you go.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many advantages to buying proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and experience less soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and reduced stress.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in St. Louis, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our St. Louis, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in St. Louis, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in St. Louis, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more demanding running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the St. Louis, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our St. Louis, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in St. Louis, MO
Starting a beginner running program in St. Louis, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in St. Louis, MO, contact us online, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.