Beginner Running Program in St. Peters, MO
Beginner running program in St. Peters, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can boost your mood, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and nearly anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in St. Peters, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your program can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in St. Peters, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in St. Peters, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some St. Peters, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about hard work, constant improvement, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and setting unrealistic goals may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many advantages to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and improved mental health.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in St. Peters, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our St. Peters, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues such as dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in St. Peters, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing your current fitness level — A physical therapist in St. Peters, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more demanding running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the St. Peters, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in St. Peters, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in St. Peters, MO
Starting a beginner running program in St. Peters, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in St. Peters, MO, make an appointment through our website, or call the Axes location nearest you.