Beginner Running Program in Sunset Hills, MO
Beginner running program in Sunset Hills, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost your mood, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and nearly anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Sunset Hills, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than your body’s used to. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Sunset Hills, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Sunset Hills, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Sunset Hills, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about determination, progressive improvement, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like high knees that improve flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help reduce the risk of injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight management and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Sunset Hills, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Sunset Hills, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Sunset Hills, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Sunset Hills, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can develop a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more challenging running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also teach you warm-up exercises to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you don’t want to go back. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Sunset Hills, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Sunset Hills, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Sunset Hills, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Sunset Hills, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Sunset Hills, MO, schedule an appointment through our website, or call the Axes location nearest you.