Beginner Running Program in Swansea, IL
Beginner running program in Swansea, IL. The benefits of running are any: it can improve mental health, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Swansea, IL, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and affordable way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Swansea, IL, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Swansea, IL
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Swansea, IL residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for as you go.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance flexibility will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and reduce soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight loss and reduced stress.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for >2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Swansea, IL Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Swansea, IL physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Swansea, IL can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Swansea, IL can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more demanding running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running and when engaged in other physical activity.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Swansea, IL physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Swansea, IL physical therapists can also assist you with:
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Swansea, IL
Starting a beginner running program in Swansea, IL can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Swansea, IL, contact us through our website, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.