Beginner Running Program in Troy, MO
Beginner running program in Troy, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can improve mental health, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and just about anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Troy, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Troy, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Troy, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Troy, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, constant development, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many benefits to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Troy, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Troy, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Troy, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Troy, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and progress to more strenuous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also show you warm-up techniques for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do sustain an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Troy, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Troy, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Troy, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Troy, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Troy, MO, schedule an appointment online, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.