Beginner Running Program in Twin Oaks, MO
Beginner running program in Twin Oaks, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can boost mental health, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it almost anywhere. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Twin Oaks, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
Keep reading this article to see our beginner running tips, request an appointment through our website, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you to speak to a physical therapist today.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and economical way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your program can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Twin Oaks, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Twin Oaks, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Twin Oaks, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about tenacity, constant development, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as you go.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and improved mental health.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running never gets easier, as the healthier you are the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Twin Oaks, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Twin Oaks, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Twin Oaks, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Twin Oaks, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more demanding running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a personalized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Twin Oaks, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Twin Oaks, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Twin Oaks, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Twin Oaks, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Twin Oaks, MO, request an appointment online, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.