Beginner Running Program in Valles Mines, MO
Beginner running program in Valles Mines, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve your mood, help you manage your weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Valles Mines, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than you’re used to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to be more active in your day-to-day life, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running one of the more effective ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Increased longevity — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Valles Mines, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Valles Mines, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Valles Mines, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about perseverance, constant improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for as you go.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many pros to buying proper running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like high knees that enhance flexibility will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Valles Mines, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Valles Mines, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other issues like dealing with chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Valles Mines, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Valles Mines, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more strenuous running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is vital to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Valles Mines, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Valles Mines, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Valles Mines, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Valles Mines, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Valles Mines, MO, contact us online, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.