Beginner Running Program in Valley Park, MO
Beginner running program in Valley Park, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can boost mental health, help you manage your weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Valley Park, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Licensed physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — Most people burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get regular exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Valley Park, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Valley Park, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Valley Park, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about perseverance, constant development, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for half an hour and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance flexibility will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT get worse over time
In a sense, running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Valley Park, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Valley Park, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other musculoskeletal problems like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been proven to work, an Axes physical therapist in Valley Park, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Valley Park, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more demanding running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is essential to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Valley Park, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Valley Park, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Valley Park, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Valley Park, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Valley Park, MO, contact us through our website, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.