Beginner Running Program in Villa Ridge, MO
Beginner running program in Villa Ridge, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost your mood, burn fat, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and nearly anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Villa Ridge, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than your body’s used to. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and economical way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Villa Ridge, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Villa Ridge, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Villa Ridge, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about hard work, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many pros to buying good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance flexibility will help prepare your body for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and experience less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of fluid we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and reduced stress.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something isn’t right. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running will always be hard, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Villa Ridge, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Villa Ridge, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Villa Ridge, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Villa Ridge, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more demanding running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is vital to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start being active, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Villa Ridge, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Villa Ridge, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Villa Ridge, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Villa Ridge, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are unsure if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Villa Ridge, MO, contact us online, or call the Axes location nearest you.