Beginner Running Program in Warrenton, MO
Beginner running program in Warrenton, MO. There are numerous reasons to begin a running program: it can improve mental health, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Warrenton, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more effective weight losing exercises.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, core, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and economical way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Warrenton, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Warrenton, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Warrenton, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, constant improvement, and being healthy. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity in a while, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and slowly build up how long you run for as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many advantages to buying good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Dynamic exercises like high knees that boost range of motion will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — Running and sweating increase the amount of water we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and reduced stress.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Warrenton, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Warrenton, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Warrenton, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Warrenton, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more challenging running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Warrenton, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Warrenton, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Warrenton, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Warrenton, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Warrenton, MO, contact us through our website, or contact the Axes location closest to you.