Beginner Running Program in Webster Groves, MO
Beginner running program in Webster Groves, MO. The benefits of running are clear: it can boost your mood, help you lose weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, and just about anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Webster Groves, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to more physical activity than your body’s used to. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. Just one run may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is an easy and inexpensive way to get consistent exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with almost no equipment. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Webster Groves, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Webster Groves, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Webster Groves, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, progressive development, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and setting unrealistic goals may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many advantages to getting proper running shoes, including more comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that improve flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and feels less soreness.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help correct those imbalances. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek our a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four guidelines regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT alter your normal pattern of gait (no limping or galloping – you are not a horse)
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Webster Groves, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Webster Groves, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Webster Groves, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Webster Groves, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more rigorous running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Webster Groves, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Webster Groves, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Webster Groves, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Webster Groves, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic exercise program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Webster Groves, MO, contact us online, or call the Axes location closest to you.