Beginner Running Program in Weingarten, MO
Beginner running program in Weingarten, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost your mood, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Weingarten, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going hold up to increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and affordable way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your routine can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While you may feel that “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Weingarten, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Weingarten, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Weingarten, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going outside or to the gym, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, progressive improvement, and taking care of your body. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to getting good running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance range of motion will help prepare your body for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and improve your recovery.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lend itself to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you continue to run. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Make sure you’re well-hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight loss and a better mood.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Weingarten, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Weingarten, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other problems such as offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective, an Axes physical therapist in Weingarten, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Weingarten, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more strenuous running techniques such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct form is essential to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you correct running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Weingarten, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Weingarten, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Weingarten, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Weingarten, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people don’t know where to begin, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in Weingarten, MO, request an appointment through our website, or call the Axes location nearest you.