Beginner Running Program in Weldon Spring Heights, MO
Beginner running program in Weldon Spring Heights, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can boost your mood, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and almost anybody can do it, just about anywhere. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Weldon Spring Heights, MO, you may not know how to get started, and how your body’s going hold up to increased exertion. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by producing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Increased longevity — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise and you can do it pretty much anywhere with just a pair of shoes. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Weldon Spring Heights, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Weldon Spring Heights, MO
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Weldon Spring Heights, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, progressive improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress gradually — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just starting exercise again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and trying to do something you can’t may make you want to stop altogether. Start out at a slow pace, and gradually the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that boost flexibility will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and feels less soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also burns up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Having good nutrition also complements certain running benefits, such as weight management and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although some soreness is to be expected, pain might be an indication something is wrong. If pains persists or increases, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for over 2 hours, it is safe to advance to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT change how you walk or run
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In a sense, running will always be hard, as the healthier you are the more you have to push yourself. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Weldon Spring Heights, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Weldon Spring Heights, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other musculoskeletal problems such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Weldon Spring Heights, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Weldon Spring Heights, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more rigorous running programs such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — Once you start a running program, you want to make sure you stay that way. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Weldon Spring Heights, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Weldon Spring Heights, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Weldon Spring Heights, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Weldon Spring Heights, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Weldon Spring Heights, MO, make an appointment through our website, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.