Beginner Running Program in Wentzville, MO
Beginner running program in Wentzville, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can improve mental health, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Wentzville, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to hold up to increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you want to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — The average person burns about 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased physical strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and affordable way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to get the full benefits of starting a beginners running program in Wentzville, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Wentzville, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Wentzville, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about perseverance, constant development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. The following are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Set realistic goals and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you unmotivated. Start out by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, may be a good idea to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. Another option is to alternate between running and walking in 2-minute periods.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even world-renowned athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Dynamic exercises like high knees that boost range of motion will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. A healthy diet is necessary to get that energy back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, like weight management and a better mood.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Wentzville, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Wentzville, MO physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems such as managing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Wentzville, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Wentzville, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can develop a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Create a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more demanding running exercises such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce swelling and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Wentzville, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Other services we provide in Wentzville, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Wentzville, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Wentzville, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to begin, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a holistic fitness plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Wentzville, MO, contact us online, or contact the Axes location most convenient for you.