Beginner Running Program in West Alton, MO
Beginner running program in West Alton, MO. The benefits of running are obvious: it can improve your mood, help you manage your weight, strengthen the heart and lungs, and almost anybody can do it, almost anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in West Alton, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and if you’re healthy enough to handle increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Running offers many physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by producing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and economical way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It can be done by people of most ages and fitness levels, and your regimen can be adapted to your current health and physical abilities.
While it probably won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in West Alton, MO, it will take dedication.
6 Beginner Running Tips in West Alton, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may give pause to some West Alton, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and hitting your stride. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about determination, constant improvement, and being healthy. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you start your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury or surgery, doing too much too soon can have negative side-effects, and setting unattainable goals may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program at a slow pace, and gradually build up how long you run for in the coming weeks.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, may be a good idea to start by walking briskly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — One of the wonderful things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are proper shoes. There are many pros to getting proper running shoes, including increased comfort, better performance, and injury prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of fuel. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and a better mood.
- If you’re not feeling great, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running never gets easier, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in West Alton, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our West Alton, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other musculoskeletal problems like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in West Alton, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in West Alton, MO can help you understand if you’re currently healthy enough to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and introduce you to more challenging running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Correct technique is vital to avoiding injury and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll teach you proper running form, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your techniques.
We can also show you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that improves strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the West Alton, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our West Alton, MO physical therapists can also help you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in West Alton, MO
Starting a beginner running program in West Alton, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running safely. If you want to start a beginner running program in West Alton, MO, schedule an appointment through our website, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.