Beginner Running Program in Wickes, MO
Beginner running program in Wickes, MO. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can boost your mood, burn fat, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re just starting a beginner running program in Wickes, MO, you may have doubts about how to get started, and how your body’s going handle increased exertion. Experienced physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people move their bodies safely and effectively. Whether you want to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight management — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, helping to improve overall fitness and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, the brain’s natural feel-good hormones.
- Longer lifespan — Some research suggests that running may lead to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and inexpensive way to get regular exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it likely won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Wickes, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Wickes, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Wickes, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about persistence, progressive improvement, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you’re body isn’t used to it, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and setting unattainable goals may make you unmotivated. Begin your program by running slowly, and slowly build up how long you run for as you go.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, it’s OK to start by walking briskly for half an hour and start running once you’re body’s used to an increased heart rate. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — One of the great things about running is you can do it anywhere and it requires relatively little equipment. One piece of equipment you do need are running shoes. There are many advantages to getting good running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Dynamic exercises like high knees that enhance range of motion will help get your body ready for the stress of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and improve your recovery.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances impact how our joints experience force, and can cause injury or soreness. Having strong gluteal muscles and hip abductors can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain flexibility in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration increases recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight management and a better mood.
- Listen to your body — It will tell you if something is wrong. Although aches and pains are normal as you begin your running program, don’t ignore them. If pains gets worse or doesn’t go away, seek guidance from a specialist, or visit Axes for a free injury screening. It is safe to continue running as long as you follow these four rules regarding your progression:
- The pain is NOT sharp (under 3/10)
- After completing a walk/run session, if you do NOT have increased swelling and or pain for more than 2 hours, you can continue to the next session
- The presence of pain does NOT lead to limping
- Pain does NOT continue to increase over time
In some ways running will always be hard, as you’ll keep having to push yourself to your limits to see the benefits. But, the more you do it, the more you’ll experience the benefits and be motivated to continue your program.
How a Physical Therapist in Wickes, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Wickes, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Wickes, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Treating any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Wickes, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can develop a customized, safe, and effective exercise program to get your body up to shape.
- Design a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and progress to more challenging running programs such as inclines or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Running in the right way is vital to avoiding injury and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also teach you the best warm-up and cool-down exercises and stretches to do.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do suffer an injury, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether want to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Wickes, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Wickes, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes to Start Your Beginner Running Program in Wickes, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Wickes, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are unsure how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Wickes, MO, request an appointment online, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.