Beginner Running Program in Wilbur Park, MO
Beginner running program in Wilbur Park, MO. The benefits of running are clear: it can boost your mood, burn fat, strengthen the heart and lungs, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you’re contemplating a beginner running program in Wilbur Park, MO, you may not know how to proceed, and how your body’s going hold up to more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Professional physical therapists like the ones we have here at Axes know how to help people increase their physical activity safely and effectively. Whether you’re looking to get back to peak performance after a sports or work-related injury or just need to get healthier, our team can help you learn proper form, understand if you’re healthy enough to begin a running program, and treat any running-related injuries you may sustain.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight management — The average person burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mood — Running has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is an easy and budget-friendly way to get regular exercise and you can do it almost anywhere with just socks, shoes, shorts, and a shirt. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get that “runner’s high“, in order to get the full rewards of starting a beginners running program in Wilbur Park, MO, you’ll need to make running a consistent part of your day.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Wilbur Park, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Wilbur Park, MO residents, but in truth it’s as easy as putting on your shoes, going out the door, and pushing yourself forward. A beginner running program isn’t about “winning;” it’s about hard work, constant development, and taking care of your body. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise before, or you’re just getting back to activity after an injury, over-exerting yourself could lead to injury, and setting unattainable goals may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If you feel like you’re very out of shape, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also alternate between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many pros to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even professional athletes need to warm up before a game or performance. Dynamic exercises like leg swings and lunges that improve flexibility will help get your body ready for the stress of running. After the run, it’s important to do static stretches and rest to help prevent injuries and recover faster.
- Combine running with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so it’s a good idea to maintain your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a personalized strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes cramping and headaches.
Running also uses up a lot of energy. You’ll need healthy carbs, protein, and nutrients to replenish your body. Following a proper diet will also enhance certain running benefits, like weight management and a better mood.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body after each run. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In a sense, running will always be hard, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Wilbur Park, MO Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Wilbur Park, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other issues such as easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques that are backed by evidence, an Axes physical therapist in Wilbur Park, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Evaluating your current fitness level — A physical therapist in Wilbur Park, MO can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program that is safe for you.
- Create a customized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program designed specifically your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you overcome plateaus, and introduce you to more rigorous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Moving in the right way is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate posture and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to break down your movement.
We can also show you warm-up techniques to do before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you optimize your wellness through a customized program that boosts strength, range of motion, endurance, and technique while running and when performing other physical activity.
- Addressing injuries as they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you get back to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and cartilage.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Wilbur Park, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help guide you through your beginner running program with safe exercises and techniques that have been proven to be effective.
Our Wilbur Park, MO physical therapists can also assist you with:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Wilbur Park, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Wilbur Park, MO does wonders for both your body and mind. However, many people don’t know where to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a comprehensive exercise plan that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running safely. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Wilbur Park, MO, contact us through our website, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.