Beginner Running Program in Windsor Springs, MO
Beginner running program in Windsor Springs, MO. The benefits of running are any: it can improve your mood, help you lose weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and it’s one of the most convenient ways to get exercise. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Windsor Springs, MO, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and how your body’s going handle more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in movement health and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re looking to get back into shape after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Benefits of Starting a Beginner Running Program
Starting a running program does wonders for your body and mind:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories for every mile run, making running an excellent way to lose weight.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running helps to strengthen the heart and lungs, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Improved mental health — Running has been shown to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that improve your mood.
- Longer lifespan — Regular running has been linked to a longer lifespan. People who run live an average of three years longer than those who don’t.
- Convenience — Running is a simple and affordable way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t take any specific skills or knowledge to do it, and your routine can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While you may feel the proverbial “runner’s high” right away, in order to truly reap the rewards of starting a beginners running program in Windsor Springs, MO, you’ll need to do it consistently, and do it the right way.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Windsor Springs, MO
Getting from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Windsor Springs, MO residents, but to get started, all you need to do is put a pair of shoes on. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about hard work, progressive development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to make sure you begin your program safely, and stay motivated to continue it.
- Be realistic and progress gradually — You’re probably excited to start your running program, and may have dreams of one day running that 4-minute mile. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical activity before, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Begin your program by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run as your progress in your program.
If your body isn’t used to physical activity, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for half an hour and progress to running later. Another option is to switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Get the right footwear — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to getting proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even the best athletes need to warm up before any physical activity. Stretching and exercises like hip rotation and knee-to-chest that boost flexibility will help get your body ready for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help reduce the risk of injuries and recover faster.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Running can lead to overuse injuries, so make sure you are maintaining your flexibility and keeping your muscles strong as you progress further into your program. A physical therapist can help you maintain and improve your current levels of flexibility and strength with a dedicated strength training program.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — Running and sweating increase the amount of liquids we need. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also uses up a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Having good nutrition will also enhance certain running benefits, such as weight management and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as the more you improve the more you have to push yourself. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Windsor Springs, MO Can Help Your Beginner Running Program
Our Windsor Springs, MO physical therapists are experts at treating injuries, or other problems like offering relief for chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also contribute to a relatively healthy person’s well-being. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Windsor Springs, MO can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Windsor Springs, MO can help you understand if you’re currently in good enough shape to run. If you’re not, we can create a personalized, safe, and effective exercise program to get to the level you need to be at.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can help you come up with a beginner running program based on your specific needs and limitations. We can also develop a cross training program. A physical therapist can also help you not be satisfied the with status quo, and introduce you to more strenuous running techniques such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper form is vital to running safely and getting all the possible benefits from your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we can perform motion video analysis to clearly see any imperfections in your techniques.
We can also show you warm-up exercises for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that’s avoided. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a customized program that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and technique while running or performing other exercises.
- Treating any running injuries — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other activities you love quickly and safely. If you’re suffering from significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your legs, buttocks, and back.
Whether you’re looking to get into shape for the first time in a while, or get back to the top of your game after an injury or surgery, the Windsor Springs, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Other services we provide in Windsor Springs, MO include:
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- Spine Specialist Near Me
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Windsor Springs, MO
Starting a beginner running program in Windsor Springs, MO can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about how it’s going to go. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by creating a comprehensive fitness program that will ensure you can enjoy the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you’re thinking about starting a beginner running program in Windsor Springs, MO, contact us through our website, or call the Axes location closest to you.