Beginner Running Program in Wood River, IL
Beginner running program in Wood River, IL. There are numerous benefits to starting a running program: it can improve mental health, help you manage your weight, improve your cardiovascular health, and you can do it pretty much anywhere. But, if you want to start a beginner running program in Wood River, IL, you may have doubts about how to proceed, and if you’re healthy enough to handle more physical activity than you’re accustomed to. Experienced physical therapists like those at Axes are experts in mobility and the musculoskeletal system. Whether you’re hoping to return to form after a sports or work-related injury or are just trying to get healthier, our team can show you how to run safely, recover from any pre-existing injuries, and treat any injuries or soreness you experience in your running program.
6 Reasons to Start a Beginner Running Program
When you start a running program, your body and mind receive numerous benefits, including:
- Weight loss — Most people burns roughly 80 to 140 calories per mile, making running one of the more efficient ways to achieve weight loss.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Running improves heart and lung function and reduces heart disease risk factors like hypertension and cholesterol.
- Increased muscle strength and endurance — Running works the muscles in the legs, abdomen, and back, and greatly increases lung capacity and endurance.
- Better mental health — Running is known to improve your mental health by releasing endorphins and serotonin, chemicals that stabilize your mood and relieve pain.
- Longer lifespan — Some studies indicate that running may lead to a longer lifespan. Running for just one hour may add 7 hours to your life.
- Accessibility — Running is a simple and economical way to get consistent exercise that doesn’t require equipment or a special field or court. It it doesn’t require any specific skills or knowledge, and your regimen can be easily modified to suit individual needs, abilities, and limitations.
While it probably won’t take long to get the proverbial “runner’s high“, in order to truly reap the benefits of starting a beginners running program in Wood River, IL, you’ll need to make running a consistent habit.
6 Beginner Running Tips in Wood River, IL
Going from the couch to the track may be difficult for some Wood River, IL residents, but to get started, all you need to do is lace up your shoes. A beginner running program isn’t about competition with others; it’s about persistence, constant development, and putting your body and mind in a better state. Below are the top 6 beginner running tips to ensure you get the full benefits of running.
- Be realistic and progress slowly — You may be excited to start your running program, and may be challenging yourself to one day run a marathon. But if you haven’t done strenuous physical exercise in a while, or you’re just starting physical activity again after an injury or surgery, over-exerting yourself can have negative side-effects, and trying to do something unrealistic may make you want to stop altogether. Start out by running slowly, and gradually the distance you run in the coming weeks.
If your body isn’t used to strenuous exercise, it’s OK to start by walking rapidly for 30 minutes and progress to running later. You can also switch between running and walking in 2-minute intervals.
- Wear the right shoes — While shoes are the only “equipment” you need for running, it’s important to get the right ones. There are many benefits to buying proper running shoes, including arch support, cushioning, and injury and blister prevention.
- Warm up and cool down — Even Olympic athletes need to warm up to be at their best and prevent injuries. Stretching and exercises like leg swings and lunges that enhance range of motion will help prepare your body for the rigors of running. Static stretches after a run, as well as rest, help prevent injuries and reduce soreness.
- Complement your running program with strength and cross training — Muscle imbalances affect how forces go through our joints, and can cause injury or soreness. Having hip and glute muscles can help ease the stress that running puts on the body. You also need to improve and maintain range of motion in your lower body and core.
- Stay hydrated and follow proper nutrition — When we sweat, our bodies lose fluid. Adequate hydration improves recovery and performance, and minimizes negative side-effects.
Running also requires a lot of energy. A healthy diet is necessary to get that fuel back. Following a proper diet also complements certain running benefits, such as weight management and reduced stress.
- If you’re struggling, slow down or take a day off — Listen to your body when starting your beginner running program. While it’s important to make running a habit, you can injure yourself if you over-exert yourself. A little soreness should be expected. But, if you’re having significant pain, you should hold off on running until you heal. If the pain doesn’t subside or progressively worsens, seek out an appointment with your physician, or call Axes Physical Therapy for a free injury screening.
In some ways running will always be hard, as the more you improve the more you’ll have to run to reach your limits. But the more you do it the more you’ll be motivated to continue doing it.
How a Physical Therapist in Wood River, IL Can Be Part of Your Beginner Running Program
Our Wood River, IL physical therapists can help with recovering from injuries and other musculoskeletal problems like easing chronic pain. But a licensed physical therapist can also be part of a wellness regimen aimed at improving your overall health. With exercises and techniques proven to work through study and research, an Axes physical therapist in Wood River, IL can help your beginner running program with:
- Assessing any pre-existing injuries or conditions — A physical therapist in Wood River, IL can help determine what your current health level is, and develop a beginner running program based on that.
- Design a personalized exercise program — We can develop a beginner running program based on your specific fitness level. We can also show you strength and flexibility exercises to complement your running program. A physical therapist can also push you to challenge yourself, and progress to more rigorous running exercises such as varying speeds or fartlek training.
- Teaching proper running techniques — Proper technique is essential to running safely and getting the most out of your running program. We’ll show you appropriate balance and the best way to move your arms and legs, and we also use motion video analysis to clearly see any flaws in your form.
We can also show you warm-up techniques for before your run, and the best static stretches to do after.
- Injury prevention — The best injury is the one that never happens. We’ll help you get in the best shape possible through a personalized program that boosts strength, flexibility, endurance, and form while running or performing other exercises.
- Addressing injuries if they occur — If you do become injured, a physical therapist can help you return to running and other things you love doing most quickly and safely. If you’re experiencing significant soreness, a physical therapist can reduce inflammation and pain in your soft tissue.
Whether you’re looking to get healthier, or become active again after an injury or surgery, the Wood River, IL physical therapists at Axes are here to help you develop and maintain your beginner running program.
Our Wood River, IL physical therapists can also help you with:
Call Axes For Help With Your Beginner Running Program in Wood River, IL
Starting a beginner running program in Wood River, IL can offer numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. However, many people aren’t sure how to start, or are nervous about if their body can hold up to it. Professional physical therapists like those at Axes can help by developing a holistic fitness program that will ensure you can get the benefits of running without hurting yourself. If you want to start a beginner running program in Wood River, IL, contact us through our website, or reach out to the Axes location closest to you.