Orthopedic Rehab Near Me in St. Louis
Orthopedic Rehab Near Me in St. Louis. Orthopedic injuries can happen to anyone at any time, whether it’s an athlete, a weekend warrior, or someone who has experienced a slip and fall. These injuries can be debilitating and affect your quality of life. However, there is hope for a full recovery with the help of orthopedic rehab and licensed physical therapists in St. Louis. If you’re searching for “orthopedic rehab near me,” then you’re on the right track to getting the care you need. Orthopedic rehab aims to help individuals recover from injuries or conditions that have affected their musculoskeletal system, which consists of your bones, muscles, connective tissue, ligaments, tendons, and joints. If an injury or other medical condition is keeping you from the activities you love the most, request an appointment with Axes or call the location nearest you.
Types of Injuries Orthopedic Rehab Can Treat
Orthopedic rehab is a specialized branch of physical therapy that focuses on the management of musculoskeletal injuries and disorders. It can help treat a wide range of injuries and conditions. Orthopedic injuries can result from a variety of causes, including accidents, sports injuries, and even degenerative diseases. Common injuries our St. Louis physical therapists help treat include:
- Ligament or tendon injuries
- Joint injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Carpal tunnel
- ACL tears, MCL injuries, and other knee injuries
- Joint replacements
- Rotator cuff injuries
Overall, orthopedic rehabilitation can help treat a wide range of injuries and conditions that affect the musculoskeletal system. If you have an injury or condition that affects your mobility, strength, or range of motion, Axes and our orthopedic rehab specialists in St. Louis can help get you back to the activities you love. We can help you develop a personalized treatment plan to help you regain your function and mobility.
Benefits of Orthopedic Rehab in St. Louis
Orthopedic rehab has many benefits for St. Louis patients who have experienced musculoskeletal injuries or conditions. Some of the key benefits include:
- Pain relief — Orthopedic rehab can help reduce pain levels by using techniques such as manual therapy, massage, and exercises to reduce inflammation and promote healing.
- Improved range of motion — Patients who have experienced orthopedic injuries or conditions often experience restricted movement. Orthopedic rehab helps to improve flexibility and range of motion, allowing patients to move more freely.
- Strengthening — Orthopedic rehab uses exercises to target weak muscles and improve strength. This can help to prevent future injuries and improve overall function.
- Faster recovery — Orthopedic rehab can help patients recover from injuries faster by promoting healing and restoring function.
- Injury prevention — By increasing strength and flexibility through postural and movement education, our physical therapists can make it less likely you’ll need injury care in the future.
When Do I Need Orthopedic Rehab in St. Louis?
Orthopedic rehab can help a variety of injuries or other medical conditions, including pre- and post-surgical rehab, after an acute injury, or for chronic conditions or pain.
Orthopedic Rehab Before and After Surgery
Axes offers both pre- and post-surgical rehabilitation in St. Louis. Orthopedic rehab can be helpful before surgery in a number of ways. First, rehab can help to prepare you for the upcoming procedure. Your physical therapist can help you understand what to expect during the surgery and what you can do to make the procedure go as smoothly as possible. Second, the rehab specialist can help to improve your overall physical condition, making it easier for you to recover after surgery. If you pre-train your muscles to understand the movements and exercises they’ll perform in post-surgery rehab, it’ll make the rehab more effective. Finally, orthopedic rehab can help to reduce your pain and discomfort before surgery, and also ease anxiety by improving your confidence in your body.
After orthopedic surgery, orthopedic rehab is an essential part of the recovery process. The rehab program can help to improve your overall mobility and functionality, reduce pain and swelling, and speed up the recovery process. The rehab program can also help to prevent future injuries or complications. In the early stages of rehab after surgery, the focus is often on managing pain and reducing inflammation. Your St. Louis physical therapist may also use exercises that promote gentle movement in the affected area to help improve circulation and reduce stiffness.
As the patient progresses in their recovery, the focus of the rehab program may shift to more advanced exercises. They will be designed to help the patient return to the activities they love most, as well as to work and other everyday activities. It’s important to note that every patient’s recovery process is unique. Your St. Louis physical therapist will work closely with you to develop a personalized rehab plan that meets your specific needs and goals.
Orthopedic Rehab After an Acute Injury
Orthopedic rehab can be an essential part of the recovery process after an acute injury, such as a sprain, strain, or fracture. These injuries can happen in a variety of circumstances, including playing sports, on the job, in a car accident, or just doing every day tasks at home. Your St. Louis physical therapist’s goal will be to help you recover your strength, mobility, and functionality as quickly and safely as possible.
Immediately after an acute injury, depending on the nature and severity of the injury, you may need emergency medical care, but will usually have to employ the RICE method of rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Then, in your appointments with your orthopedic therapist, they’ll help you:
- Manage pain and swelling
- Learn how to function with limitations while your injury heals
- Rebuild strength and flexibility
- Educate you on how to avoid a similar injury in the future
Orthopedic rehab can also be beneficial after other acute medical events, such as a stroke, in helping St. Louis patients relearn certain functions and activities.
Orthopedic Rehab For a Chronic Injury
Chronic injuries result from overuse of a particular area of the body, while chronic pain can be due to a variety of factors, including degenerative diseases like arthritis. If you’re suffering from a chronic injury, our St. Louis physical therapists can isolate the source of your injury, build up the surrounding tissue and structures, and teach you how to manage symptoms at home and avoid re-injury in the future.
Axes’ Approach to Orthopedic Rehab in St. Louis
At Axes, our St. Louis physical therapists tailor their approach to orthopedic rehab specifically to each client, their needs, and the activities they want to get back to. Generally, orthopedic rehab consists of five steps:
- Evaluation and assessment — To start, you can come to any of our locations for a free injury screening. In this session, your Axes physical therapist will get to know you, your injury, and the activities you enjoy that you wish to get back to. Then, we can refer you to an orthopedic or sports physician, or work with your current physician to facilitate a prescription. We’ll form a team with you and your physician to get you back to the things you love as safely and effectively as possible.
- Setting realistic goals — After the evaluation, your St. Louis physical therapist will set realistic goals for you. These goals will be based on your condition, needs, and lifestyle you wish to return to. The goals will help to guide the rehabilitation process, and they will be adjusted as you progress.
- Creating a treatment plan — Based on the evaluation and the set goals, your physical therapist at Axes will work with you and your doctor to create a personalized treatment plan, consisting of treatments that have been proven to work.
- Physical therapy — The next step in orthopedic rehab is physical therapy. The physical therapist will work you to perform exercises and stretches to improve mobility, strength, and flexibility. This therapy helps to reduce pain, increase range of motion, and improve joint function. Depending on your injury, age, and other factors, your orthopedic rehab in St. Louis may include:
- Exercise and stretching
- Hot and cold therapy
- Manual therapy
- Vestibular therapy
- Joint mobilization
- Soft tissue mobilization
- DorsaVi video motion analysis
- Kinesio Taping®
- Trigger point dry needling
- Blood flow restriction training
- Home exercises and self-care — After physical therapy, your physical therapist will provide you with a set of exercises and stretches to perform at home. These exercises will help to reinforce the progress made during physical therapy and maintain the gains achieved. The physical therapist will also teach you self-care techniques, such as proper posture and body mechanics, to prevent further injury.
No matter the specifics of your injury, at Axes, our St. Louis physical therapists will safely guide you through a treatment plan that was uniquely developed for you.
Call Axes For Your “Orthopedic Rehab Near Me” in St. Louis
Any injury can be challenging to deal with, but orthopedic rehab can help you get back to the activities you love faster. If you’re looking for “orthopedic rehab near me,” in St. Louis, trust in Axes to get you healthy again. Our physical therapy practice in St. Louis is centered on patient results, positive outcomes and a remarkable experience for our patients and clients. Request an appointment online or call the location nearest you today.