Post Surgical Rehabilitation in Greater St. Louis. Surgery, whether elective or necessary, is a significant event in your life. While the surgery is meant to help you, it can leave you feeling weakened and unsure if you’ll ever truly recover. That’s where we come in. Axes Physical Therapy, a locally owned and operated practice in the St. Louis, MO area, is committed to guiding you through your post-surgical rehabilitation journey with scientifically-backed treatment plans customized for your needs.
Our mission is clear: to help St. Louis residents who receive surgery recover effectively, ensuring you can return to the activities you love. So, whether you’ve recently undergone surgery or are preparing for one, trust Axes in St. Louis with your post surgical rehabilitation.
Benefits of Post Surgical Rehabilitation in St. Louis
Surgery is traumatic to the body as, even though the operation is meant to help you long-term, it’s still making tears and incisions in various tissues. This trauma to the body is a necessary part of the surgical process, and the success of surgery often depends on the body’s ability to heal and adapt to these changes over time. Staying on bed rest for too long can bring complications, and getting moving after surgery helps your muscles stay strong and keeps your body healthy. Post surgical rehabilitation with a licensed physical therapist in St. Louis is often necessary to ensure your surgery is a complete success.
Helps Improve Power, Mobility, and Flexibility
One of the key benefits of post-surgical rehabilitation through physical therapy is its ability to enhance several aspects crucial for a successful recovery:
- Strength — Physical therapy focuses on targeted exercises and techniques to rebuild muscle strength in areas where the muscle was weakened. Whether it’s a joint, muscle group, or specific body part, our experienced St. Louis physical therapists tailor exercises to improve your muscle power.
- Mobility — After surgery, regaining the ability to move freely and without discomfort is paramount. Physical therapy emphasizes mobility exercises that aim to restore your range of motion. This is particularly vital for surgeries involving joints, as it enables you to regain your ability to bend, stretch, and move these areas without difficulty.
- Flexibility — Surgery can result in stiff or inflexible joints and muscles. Physical therapy includes various stretching exercises designed to increase your flexibility. These exercises promote pliability in your tissues, which is essential for reducing post-operative discomfort and ensuring a smoother recovery process.
Speeding Up the Recovery Process
- Targeted Exercise Programs — Physical therapists create customized exercise programs tailored to your specific surgery, body, and individual needs. These exercises are designed to optimize your recovery by gradually increasing in intensity as you progress.
- Progressive Treatment — Your physical therapist will monitor your progress closely and make necessary adjustments to your treatment plan. This ensures that you are continually challenged without overexerting yourself, allowing for steady, safe, and efficient recovery.
- Improved Circulation — Physical therapy promotes blood flow to the surgical site and throughout your body. This blood carries essential nutrients and oxygen to the healing tissues, accelerating the body’s natural healing processes.
- Reduction in Swelling — Swelling is a common post-surgery issue, and too much swelling can slow down healing. Physical therapy techniques, including manual therapies and specific exercises, can help reduce swelling and inflammation, providing relief and expediting recovery.
Ensuring Proper Healing and Preventing Complications
Effective post surgical rehabilitation through physical therapy is essential in ensuring that the healing process proceeds smoothly and without complications. Here’s how physical therapy in St. Louis contributes to a smoother recovery:
- Monitoring Surgical Site — Physical therapists closely monitor the surgical site, paying attention to any signs of complications or issues. This proactive approach allows for early detection and intervention, reducing the risk of further problems.
- Tailored Rehabilitation — Axes’ physical therapy programs in St. Louis are personalized based on the type of surgery you’ve undergone. Your rehabilitation plan is adapted to address the specific needs and challenges associated with your surgery.
- Preventing Muscle Atrophy — After surgery, muscles around the affected area can weaken due to inactivity. Physical therapy includes exercises aimed at preventing muscle atrophy and maintaining muscle tone. This not only supports the healing process but also minimizes the risk of long-term muscle-related issues.
- Enhancing Surgical Outcomes — Proper rehabilitation ensures that any replacements or repairs made during surgery heal optimally. Physical therapy techniques are designed to promote the correct alignment and function of the surgical site, reducing the likelihood of complications or the need for additional procedures.
Ease Pain Effectively
Managing pain and inflammation is a critical aspect of post surgical recovery. Physical therapy offers a non-opioid approach to pain management with several advantages:
- Targeted Pain Relief — Physical therapists employ various techniques to alleviate pain, including manual therapy, specialized exercises, and modalities like heat and cold therapy. These methods are specifically tailored to address pain at the surgical site, providing effective relief.
- Minimized Opioid Dependency — The opioid epidemic is a growing concern in healthcare. Physical therapy can significantly reduce the need for opioid medications by addressing the underlying musculoskeletal issues causing pain. This approach not only avoids opioid-related side effects but also lowers the risk of dependence. According to the CDC, nonopioid therapies may actually work better than opioids for some conditions.
- Holistic Pain Management — Physical therapy takes a holistic approach to pain management. It not only focuses on immediate pain relief but also works towards improving overall musculoskeletal function and addressing the underlying issues behind the pain. This results in a more comprehensive and lasting reduction in pain.
Enhancing Psychological Well-being Through Exercise
Surgery puts stress on our minds as well as our bodies. You have to deal with fear of the surgery itself, a sense of loss of control, and maybe even financial stress or body image concerns. Here’s how exercise-based rehabilitation contributes to better mental health following surgery:
- Release of Endorphins and Reduction of Anxiety — Exercise, a fundamental component of physical therapy, stimulates the release of endorphins. Endorphins are natural chemicals in the body that are often referred to as “feel-good” hormones. They create a sense of well-being and reduce feelings of stress and anxiety.
- Sense of Achievement — As you progress through your physical therapy program, you often experience a sense of accomplishment with each milestone they achieve. Whether it’s regaining mobility, strength, independence in daily activities, or getting back to one of your favorite activities, these achievements boost confidence and self-esteem.
- Improved Sleep — Physical activity also contributes to better sleep quality. Patients who engage in structured exercise programs often report improved sleep patterns, which are essential for overall well-being and recovery.
Who Needs Post-Surgery Rehabilitation in St. Louis?
Physical therapy is often recommended after many types of surgery in St. Louis:
- Ligament Reconstruction —
Ligament reconstruction surgery is performed to repair damaged ligaments, commonly seen in injuries to the knee or shoulder. Physical therapy is integral in helping you regain mobility and strength in the affected joint after such surgeries. Therapists design rehabilitation programs tailored to the specific ligament repaired, focusing on exercises that gradually restore function and stability.
- Joint Replacement —
Joint replacement surgeries, such as knee, hip, or shoulder replacements, are increasingly common procedures. Physical therapy is essential to ensuring your body successfully adapts to its new joint. You’ll benefit from supervised exercises that enhance joint mobility, strengthen supporting muscles, and facilitate a return to daily or beloved activities. Early post-operative physical therapy can significantly accelerate the healing process.
- Spine Surgery —
Spinal surgeries, including procedures like spinal fusion or disk surgery, require delicate care during recovery. Physical therapy plays a critical role in these cases by guiding you through gentle stretches and exercises that promote blood flow and gradually reintroduce them to everyday movements. This helps minimize discomfort and hastens recovery.
- Tendon Repair —
Tendon repair surgery is often necessary for conditions like rotator cuff tears or Achilles tendon injuries. Physical therapists employ targeted exercises to rebuild strength and flexibility around the repaired tendon, ensuring a safe and effective recovery.
- Cartilage Repair —
Cartilage repair surgeries, addressing issues like an ACL tear, call for specialized rehabilitation. Physical therapy focuses on restoring joint function and mobility while protecting the newly repaired cartilage. Therapists utilize techniques that strengthen the surrounding muscles and improve range of motion.
- Fracture Repair —
Fracture repair surgeries, whether for broken bones in the limbs or more complex fractures, require careful rehabilitation. Physical therapy aids in regaining strength, mobility, and flexibility around the fractured area.
- Heart Surgery —
Heart surgeries, including procedures like bypass surgery, demand a holistic approach to recovery. Physical therapy plays a crucial role in preventing cardiopulmonary complications by gradually reintroducing you to low-impact, supervised exercise. This promotes overall health and reduces the length of hospital stays.
It’s important to recognize that each surgical procedure is unique, and the type of physical therapy required may vary accordingly. Your St. Louis physical therapist at Axes will form a team with you and your surgeons to offer you a personalized treatment plan aimed at regaining your independence and getting you back to the activities you love most.
Call Axes For Your Post Surgical Rehabilitation in St. Louis
Physical therapy is a pivotal component of achieving a successful recovery in post surgical rehabilitation. As you consider your post-surgery journey in St. louis, we encourage you to take action and prioritize your recovery through physical therapy. Here are the key steps to ensure a successful post-surgery rehabilitation process:
- Consult with your surgical team or take advantage of direct access physical therapy to see if physical therapy is right for your post surgical rehabilitation
- Start post surgical rehabilitation as soon as recommended after your surgery
- Follow through with your St. Louis physical therapist’s recommendations
- Communicate with your physical therapist and share any concerns or questions you have
- Celebrate progress by recognizing each milestone and improvement in your recovery journey
- Get out there and get back to the activities you love most
Your post-surgery journey is unique to you, and with Axes your treatment plan will be customized for your needs and based on treatment methods scientifically proven to work. If you have any questions or would like to begin your post-surgery rehabilitation, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our experienced team of St. Louis physical therapists at Axes Physical Therapy. Your well-being is our top priority, and we look forward to supporting you on your path to recovery. Contact us online or call the Axes location nearest you.