Injury Prevention in Herculaneum, MO. Whether you’re an athlete hoping for a shot at the next stage, or a recent retiree who wants to spend more time bike riding, don’t let the fear of reinjury keep you from the happy, healthy lifestyle you deserve. While our licensed Herculaneum, MO physical therapists spend much of their time helping athletes and others heal after an injury, we are experts in the entire musculoskeletal system who can evaluate your movement, muscle and joint strength, and flexibility to show you measures that are proven to reduce the risk of injury. Schedule an appointment at Axes Physical Therapy today or contact the location nearest you.
Being physically active is vitally important to many Herculaneum, MO residents. Many of us participate in active endeavors such as playing sports, biking, and more. Additionally, committing to an active lifestyle reduces the risk of chronic diseases like type 2 diabetes, heart disease, degenerative brain diseases, anxiety, and certain cancers. Not only can physical therapy with one of Axes’ licensed Herculaneum, MO physical therapists allow you to return to action even stronger after an injury, but our injury prevention specialists can help you reduce the risk of further injury by improving your overall strength, flexibility, and posture. All of our treatment plans, both when helping restore motion health and when looking to improve it, are based on evidence-backed techniques and are personalized to each client and the level of activity they want to reach.
If you’ve recently suffered an injury, or have a persistent injury that is not getting better with time, contact the Axes Physical Therapy location most convenient for you in Herculaneum, MO for a complimentary injury screening. To take preventative measures and ensure that you can continue with your sport or hobby, read on below or inquire about an appointment at your earliest convenience.
Injuries Axes PT Can Help Prevent in Herculaneum, MO
Most injuries happen for one of two reasons:
- Overuse injuries are injuries happen gradually as a body part degrades because of repetitive movements. They are common in overhead athletes athletes who are required to repeat throwing or striking motions and typically are accompanied by joint pain.
- Acute injuries are sudden and spontaneous. Examples include falling or a sudden impact by an object or another person. These can result in bruises, twisting joints, fractures, and dislocations.
Some common injuries, such as rotator cuff tears, can result from either overuse or acute trauma. Other injuries, for example ACL tears, are almost always the result of trauma, with an immediate impact to or twisting of the knee.
What Causes Injuries? | Injury Prevention in Herculaneum, MO
While injuries can happen in a variety of circumstances, and some are inescapable, they generally happen because of dysfunction or instability and your body and between body parts. There are three chief causes of why your body cannot handle an activity:
Muscle balance is key to supporting joints and reducing injury. Imbalance can cause overemphasis for one muscle group, which may cause your body to use it in a way it shouldn’t. It also causes posture dysfunction, and the weaker muscles will become fatigued faster, making them more susceptible to injuries. Injuries can be caused by insufficient muscle balance between muscle groups, such as having a strong hamstring and weak quadriceps, or in the same muscle group, such as an imbalance between the four muscles of the rotator cuff. Symptoms include:
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle inflexibility
- Poor muscle recruitment
- Poor coordination
Customized injury prevention with our experienced physical therapists in Herculaneum, MO will ensure that different muscles and muscle groups are equally strong.
Movement dysfunction can impact your stability and lead to your body moving in unnatural ways, increasing your risk of injury. Problems in your nervous system, inflammation, previous injuries, and muscle imbalance call all contribute to movement dysfunction. Symptoms include:
- Joint mobility limitations
- Muscle imbalance
- Coordination deficits
- Reduced balance
When you first see our injury prevention specialists in Herculaneum, MO, we’ll evaluate your medical records and perform a base evaluation to identify the root causes of your movement dysfunction. Then, in concert with with your doctor or any other medical professionals involved in your treatment, we’ll create a tailored treatment plan been proven to work by research and studies to get your movement health to the level you need it to to do what you love.
Bad posture is not just an issue for people with desk jobs. Athletes and others with active lifestyles can have postural dysfunction when resting, driving, or in certain body positions they need to be in for a given activity. Optimal posture means proper positioning of the neck, torso, pelvis, and extremities in a way that does not remove the spine from its natural curves. Poor posture can bring the joints in the spine closer together, which disrupts communication between your brain and body and makes it harder to attain the strength and range of motion you need to achieve. Symptoms include:
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle imbalance
- Poor positioning
- Joint mobility limitations
- Poor muscle recruitment
By teaching you good posture, we’ll aid in your injury prevention by ensuring muscle balance, flexibility, and that your vertebrae remain in place.
Keys to Injury Prevention in Herculaneum, MO
All sports and physical activities can potentially lead to an injury. No one technique is 100% foolproof in injury prevention. However, there are things you can do to greatly reduce the risk of injury:
- Take breaks — Your body needs time to rest and recover after any moderate to intense activity. If you’re heavily active, make sure to take one or two days off per week to encourage your body to engage in its natural healing processes. If you’re moderately active, rest for the rest of the day after an activity so you don’t overwork your muscles and joints.
- Use the appropriate equipment — Helmets, chest guards, elbow pads, and other recommended equipment in sports and other activities helps you avoid injuries such as cuts or concussions. If you’re returning to activity after an injury, your Herculaneum, MO doctor or injury prevention expert may fit you for stabilizing braces or Kinesio Taping®. Other techniques like tying your athletic footwear tightly can further help injury prevention by stabilizing your joints.
- Strengthen muscles — Strengthening soft tissue helps it stand up to the force and torque of heavy activity. Our Herculaneum, MO injury prevention professionals will work to build up your body to be able to stay healthy in the activities you want to participate in.
- Improve flexibility — Stretching achieves three important things for injury prevention:
- It improves your range of motion, which allows for your soft tissue to adjust to more dramatic positions.
- It increases circulation, which allows for protein-rich blood to flow to your soft tissue, removing waste byproduct and encouraging the muscles to heal.
- It enhances your posture, which, as you read earlier, is an important part of injury prevention.
According to studies, sports like soccer that include bouncing and jumping require muscles and tendons with sufficient flexibility to incorporate and expel the high amount of energy required. Stretching and warm up exercises before activities further helps prevent injuries.
- Use accepted technique — In every sport, there is an accepted way to position and move your body. These techniques not only help you perform better but help prevent injuries. Football players learn to tackle with the shoulder in order to avoid brain damage, and rotational athletes like golfers and baseball players learn how to best rotate their body. We utilize DorsaVi video motion analysis to slow down your movement and evaluate how to improve it.
- Don’t ignore what your body is telling you — If you feel pain in a muscle or joint, that means that body part is telling your brain that something isn’t right. If you feel sudden pain, stop immediately and seek proportional medical care. If your body does not feel well enough for an intense workout, don’t force it.
- Don’t play through an injury — While gritting through pain is often seen as a heroic act among competitors, forcing your body to perform with an injury to a muscle, joint, tendon, or ligament could make that injury worse and leave you off the field or court for much longer than you would have been sitting out. Depending on what caused your injury and how severe it is, you may use methods like the R.I.C.E. method, seeing your doctor, and scheduling appointments with a physical therapist to make sure your body heals properly and can handle a return to physical activity.
- Follow the rules — Depending on the sport or activity and age level of the participants, it likely has special rules in the interest of safety. Penalties for targeting in football, rules against slide-tackling in soccer, and even the presence of bike lanes are all rules put in place to prevent injuries to ourselves and others. There’s a reason those rules exist, and a reason that violations of those rules are punished.
- Speak a professional physical therapist — It’s in your best interest to get a physical before a new season or committing yourself to any strenuous activity or training regimen. During your visit, ask your doctor if injury prevention with a licensed physical therapist in Herculaneum, MO is right for you. All of our techniques have been proven to help athletes remain healthy, and we’ll personalize your program to your age, any previous injuries, and which activities you want to participate in.
Injury Prevention for Senior Citizens in Herculaneum, MO
Falls in the elderly were responsible for more than 3 million urgent care admissions and more than 34,000 fatalities. Research demonstrates that being physical active can go a long way in preventing falls. Other conditions that cause pain like arthritis that develop over the course of several years can be slowed down by physical therapy exercises that keep your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and joints healthy. While seniors typically do not exert themselves as much as an athlete does, appropriate strength, balance, flexibility, and proper posture can greatly aid in injury prevention.
Other services we offer in Herculaneum, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Herculaneum, MO Injury Prevention | Axes Physical Therapy
Suffering in injury in one of your favorite activities can lead to a mental block that won’t allow us to experience the same freedom. The knowledgeable Herculaneum, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to guide you through your own personalized injury prevention program that will keep your body as safe and healthy as can be, and your mind at ease that you do not have to fear going back to what you love doing most. We will aid you in feeling the physical and mental health benefits that you do not want to lose. Make an appointment online or reach out to the location nearest you to start your program with one of our injury prevention professionals in Herculaneum, MO.