Injury Prevention in Marthasville, MO. Whether you’re an athlete and want to improve your performance, or a recent retiree who wants to spend more time bike riding, don’t let the fear of reinjury keep you from the activities you love. While our professional Marthasville, MO physical therapists work extensively with athletes and others to recover from injury, we are experts in the entire musculoskeletal system who can evaluate your movement, muscle and joint strength, and flexibility to teach out exercises that are proven to reduce the risk of injury by preparing your body for the stressors of your desired activity. Schedule an appointment at Axes Physical Therapy today or call the location most convenient for you.
Physical activity is an essential part of many Marthasville, MO people’s lives. Many of us participate in activities such as playing sports, hiking, and more. Additionally, committing to an active lifestyle helps stave off serious health problems like type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, dementia, anxiety, and certain cancers. Not only can physical therapy with one of Axes’ licensed Marthasville, MO physical therapists allow you to return to action as fierce as ever, but our injury prevention specialists can help preserve your active lifestyle by optimizing your overall movement health. All of our methods, for both healing from and preventing injury, are proven to be effective and are personalized to each client and the level of activity they want to reach.
If you’ve recently suffered an injury, or have a persistent injury that just won’t go away, contact the Axes Physical Therapy location nearest you in Marthasville, MO for a no-risk, no-obligation injury screening. To take preventative measures and ensure that you can keep up with your sport or hobby, keep reading or inquire about an appointment at your earliest convenience.
Injuries Axes PT Can Help Prevent in Marthasville, MO
Most injuries happen for one of two reasons:
- Wear-and-tear injuries are injuries that are caused by repetitive movements over time. In sports, we see them the most in in overhead athletes athletes who use throwing or striking motions, with joint pain usually being the first warning sign.
- Acute injuries are injuries that happen because of a specific and sudden trauma. Examples include landing on uneven ground or a sudden impact by an object or another person. These can result in bruises, sprains and strains, broken bones, and dislocations.
Some common injuries, such as rotator cuff tears, can either develop over time or occur suddenly. Other injuries, such as ACL tears, are almost always the result of trauma, with an immediate impact to or twisting of the knee.
Why Do Injuries Happen? | Injury Prevention in Marthasville, MO
While anyone can suffer an injury almost at any time and for numerous different reasons, they generally occur because your soft tissue, bones, and joints cannot hold up under the force, torque, or stretching that are required or are possible in a given activity. There are three primary causes of why your body cannot handle an activity:
Muscle balance is crucial to supporting joints and reducing injury. Imbalance can lead to overemphasis for one muscle group, which may cause your body to use it in a way it shouldn’t. It can also lead to poor posture, and the weaker muscles will become fatigued faster, making them more susceptible to injuries. Injuries can be caused by poor muscle balance between muscle groups, such as having a strong chest and weak back, or within muscle groups, such as an imbalance between the four muscles of the rotator cuff. Symptoms include:
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle inflexibility
- Poor muscle recruitment
- Poor coordination
Customized injury prevention with our professional physical therapists in Marthasville, MO will ensure that different muscles and muscle groups are equally strong.
Movement dysfunction can impact your stability and lead to your body bending in unnatural ways, increasing your risk of injury. It can be caused by many different musculoskeletal issues. It can lead to:
- Joint mobility limitations
- Muscle imbalance
- Poor coordination
- Reduced balance
At our first injury prevention appointment in Marthasville, MO, we’ll go through your medical history and analyze your current movement health, strength, and flexibility. Then, alongside with your doctor or any additional providers involved in your treatment, we’ll devise a tailored game plan been proven to work through research and studies to get your movement health to reach its potential.
Bad posture doesn’t just affect people with desk jobs. Athletes and other physically active people can have postural dysfunction when at lest, driving, or in specific body positions necessary for their sport. Correct posture refers to correct positioning of the neck, torso, pelvis, and extremities in a way that does not remove the spine from its natural curves. Poor posture can compress the joints in the spine, which disrupts your nervous system and makes it challenging to reach the strength and range of motion you need to achieve. It can also lead to:
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle imbalance
- Poor positioning
- Joint mobility limitations
- Poor muscle recruitment
Good posture is a vital part of injury prevention because it ensures you are using your muscles equally, your flexibility can be improved and maintained, and your spine is in its natural position.
Keys to Injury Prevention in Marthasville, MO
All sports and physical activities carry an inherent risk of injury. We cannot promise that our injury prevention program completely negates the risk of injury. However, there are precautions to greatly reduce the risk of injury:
- Take breaks — Injuries are more common in overworked bodies. If you have a very high activity level, make sure to take one or two days off per week to allow your body to engage in its natural healing processes. If you have a more moderate activity level, take it easy after activity so your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and joints become too fatigued.
- Wear the correct equipment — Helmets, mouth guards, protective eyewear, and other equipment necessary in sports and other activities can help prevent injuries such as lacerations or concussions. If you’ve already suffered an injury to a joint or soft tissue, your Marthasville, MO physician or physical therapist may suggest stabilizing braces or Kinesio Taping®. Other methods like making sure all the equipment is snug offers further stabilization.
- Boost muscle strength — Strengthening your muscles, tendons, and ligaments helps them withstand the force and torque necessary for in sports and other activities. In your customized injury prevention program with our experienced Marthasville, MO physical therapists, we’ll work to build up your body to be able to stay healthy in the activities you love.
- Improve flexibility — Increasing your flexibility contributes to injury prevention in three way:
- It increases your range of motion, which lets for your tendons and ligaments to adjust to more drastic movements.
- It boosts blood flow, which allows for nutrient-rich blood to flow to your muscles, eliminating waste byproduct and encouraging the muscles to restore themselves.
- It improves your posture, which, as you read earlier, is is one of the most important aspects of injury prevention.
According to a peer-reviewed sports medicine paper, sports like basketball that include dynamic activities require muscles and tendons compliant enough to incorporate and release the high amount of energy required. Stretching and warm up exercises before games or training further helps prevent injuries.
- Use correct technique — In every sport, there are accepted techniques to use. These techniques not only help you perform better but help prevent injuries. Football players learn to tackle with the shoulder in order to reduce the risk of a head injury, and swimmers learn the proper strokes to use the appropriate muscles. We utilize DorsaVi video motion analysis to slow down your movement and educate you on how to improve it.
- Don’t ignore what your body is telling you — If a part of your body is sore, that means that body part is telling your brain that something is wrong. If you feel a sudden crack or grinding sensation, immediately withdraw from the activity and seek proportional medical care. If your body does not feel well enough for a particularly rigorous workout, don’t force it.
- Don’t play through an injury — While teammates, competitors, and fans appreciate a player that plays through pain, playing with an injury to a muscle, joint, tendon, or ligament could aggravate an existing injury and leave you on the sidelines for longer than it originally would have. Depending on what caused your injury and how severe it is, recommended actions may be using R.I.C.E. method, seeing urgent care, and rehab with a physical therapist to make sure your body heals properly and can withstand the activity you want to return to.
- Play by the rules — Most sports have special rules at different levels to reduce the risk of injury. Penalties for leading with the helmet in football, rules against head-first sliding in baseball, and even the existence of bike lanes are all rules put in place to prevent injuries to ourselves and others. Those were enacted for a reason, and there’s a reason that there are penalties for them.
- Speak a licensed physical therapist — It’s in your best interest to get a physical before another season begins or starting up a new physical activity. While there, ask your doctor if injury prevention with a knowledgeable physical therapist in Marthasville, MO is right for you. All of our techniques have been proven to help athletes remain healthy, and you plan will be completely unique to you and catered to your age, your injury history, and which activities you want to participate in.
Injury Prevention for Senior Citizens in Marthasville, MO
Falls in senior citizens accounted for over 3 million urgent care admissions and over 34,000 deaths. Studies show that physical activity can go a long way in reducing the risk of falls. Other conditions such as arthritis that develop over the course of several years can be more bearable and take longer to progress with physical therapy exercises that keep your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and joints strong. While older adults typically do not exert themselves as much as an athlete does, healthy strength, balance, flexibility, and correct posture are great agents in injury prevention.
Other services we offer in Marthasville, MO include:
- Shoulder Pain
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Marthasville, MO Injury Prevention | Axes Physical Therapy
Suffering in injury in something you love doing can create a mental block that won’t allow us to experience the same exhilaration. The licensed Marthasville, MO physical therapists at Axes are here to design for you a personalized injury prevention program that will keep your body strong and flexible, and your mind at ease that you do not have to fear going back to what you love doing most. You deserve to feel the physical and mental health benefits that you do not want to lose. Schedule an appointment online or call the location nearest you to get started with one of our injury prevention specialists in Marthasville, MO.