Knee Injury in Peerless Park, MO
Knee Injury in Peerless Park, MO. A knee injury can wreak havoc on your everyday life, and often persists with long-term symptoms. There is nobody in Peerless Park, MO who is completely immune to the threat of a knee injury. A knee injury can happen in a variety of ways — often when you least expect it. However, the majority of knee injury victims experience damage due to aging, repetitive motions, and sudden movement or trauma that can happen in accidents and when engaging in physical activities.
If you have any symptoms related to the knee — pain, buckling, stiffness, swelling or irritation — you could be suffering from a knee injury. For your swift and successful recovery, contact Axes Physical Therapy near Peerless Park, MO. Our team of physical and occupational therapists will design a treatment plan to maximize your recovery and restore you to optimal movement.
What Are Knee Injuries?
The knee earns the title of the largest joint in the human body, and one that is critical to many of the motions and actions that distinguish us from other animals and allow us to accomplishing the complex tasks our busy lives require. This joint is composed of four distinct structures, all of which are susceptible to injury. The knee contains bones, cartilage, ligaments, and tendons.
The bones of the knee include the tibia, femur, and patella. The three bones are held in place by groups of muscles, connected by tendons and ligaments, that make it possible for us to move our legs. In addition to joining the separate bones together within the joint, the ligaments act to provide stability and limit movement in certain directions. Within the joint, the ends of the bones are capped by a layer of cartilage — essentially a cushion that protects the hard bones from one another and works as a shock absorber when movement or weight put pressure on the joint.
All parts that make up the knee, both hard bone and soft tissue, are essential to the healthy functioning of the knee joint, and any kind of damage to the bones, muscles, tendons or ligaments within the joint can lead to a knee injury. If you or a family member have recently suffered any kind of trauma to your knee or surrounding area or suffer from a chronic condition that could cause damage to the knee structure, speak with Axes Physical Therapy to learn about the best choice for the treatment of a knee injury in Peerless Park, MO today or schedule an appointment online now.
Knee Injury Statistics in in Peerless Park, MO and the US
The knee is a complex part of the human anatomy — a beautifully constructed joint that allows us to execute tasks and movements that are unique to humans. But this intricate joint is vulnerable to a variety of injuries. In fact, knee injuries account for the most common type of sports injury, attributed with 41 percent of all sports injuries. But sports injuries make up only one category of knee injury individuals in Peerless Park, MO and throughout the US commonly experience. While young people more often get knee injuries from sports and other physical activities, older adults who sustain knee injuries most often do so in acute injuries involving falls and ramps or through chronic conditions like osteoarthritis.
Consider these fast knee injury facts and statistics from Society for Academic Emergency Medicine:
- Teens and young adults (patients ranging in age from 15 years old to their late 20’s) are the most likely to experience a knee injury
- 68% of knee injury victims are male
- Fifty percent of all knee injuries are caused by sports-related injuries
- Of all sports-related knee injuries, the sports activities most likely to lead to injury are soccer and skiing, each responsible for in excess of a quarter of all knee injuries related to sports
- After sports injuries, top knee injury causes are related to home structures at 30.2% and home furnishings at 13.6%
- By far the most common type of knee injury is a strain or sprain, making up 42.1% of all knee injury cases; next are contusions and abrasions at 27.1% and cuts and puncture wounds at 10.5%
Common Types of Knee Injuries in Peerless Park, MO
- Sprains and Strains. When you sprain or strain your knee, a muscle or ligament within the joint is affected. Injuries of this nature happen when the knee meets a sudden force or is suddenly forced in the wrong direction (for example, planting the foot and pivoting, twisting the knee in the wrong direction).
- Fractures. A fracture describes a broken bone, and these kinds of injuries range in extent from a small, partial crack like a hairline fracture to something much more devastating such as a comminuted fracture when a bone is crushed into several pieces. Even the patella, the bone commonly known as the kneecap, can be fractured during a knee injury, especially in car accidents, hard falls against solid objects, assaults and other catastrophic events.
- Cartilage or Ligament Tears. Blows to the knee from different directions can lead to a number of different knee injuries involving ligaments surrounding the joint. Sudden changes in direction such as twisting and pivoting motions can also cause a tear to the meniscus — the cartilage padding the knee where the bones meet — and/or anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear injuries. If you have been diagnosed with or believe you have suffered an ACL injury get more information about our Peerless Park, MO physical therapy services for ACL tears in your area.
- Arthritis. There are countless variations of arthritis and each patient has their own unique experience of their condition. However, if you live with a chronic condition like arthritis and have symptoms of a knee injury like pain or stiffness, your arthritis may be causing a knee injury and can even lead to the potential development of bone spurs. Without the proper quality arthritis treatment for joint health, you face rapid and irreparable damage to your knee joint cartilage.
- Tendonitis and Inflammation. When under constant stress or overuse, tendons in the knee can become inflamed. This is common in individuals who engage in frequent activities like running, jumping, and cycling. A common form of tendonitis in the knee is what is known as jumper’s knee because of the strain to the tendon that occurs as a result of the repeated force of hitting the ground when landing a jump.
Knee Injury Risk Factors in Peerless Park, MO
- Excessive weight. Heaviness or obesity puts undue stress on the majority of your joints including your knees, even during ordinary activities such as walking or going up and down stairs. Being at an unhealthy excessive weight is also a risk factor for developing osteoarthritis by accelerating the breakdown of joint cartilage.
- Muscle or bone weakness or stiffness. A lack of strength and flexibility can put you at a heightened risk of succumbing to a knee injury. Strong muscles help stabilize and protect your joints, and adequate muscle flexibility make it possible to utilize a full range of motion.
- Certain activities and occupations. Some sports put more stress on your knees than do others. Downhill skiing with its rigid ski boots and harsh landings, basketball jumps and pivots, and the relentless pounding your knees take when you run or jog all increase your risk of knee injury in Peerless Park, MO. Occupations that require activities that put stress on the knees like auto work or farming put you at an increased risk as well.
- History of previous injury. Being injured in the past puts you at a higher risk of injuring your knee again.
- Age. As our bodies age, the tissues in our body wear down. The knee is no exception. The protective cartilage cushioning the bones in your knee can break down, and diseases like osteoporosis leave your bones weak, making you.
Do I Need Knee Injury Treatment in Peerless Park, MO?
As always, each patient is unique and you should always speak with a licensed and practiced medical professional when a knee injury or any condition makes it difficult or impossible for you to function as normal or causes you serious pain. After all, if there was a treatment solution that could treat your chronic pain and restore your mobility in a joint as important as the knee, wouldn’t you try it?
While your experience as a knee injury sufferer is unique, there are certain times that immediate medical care is necessary. Specifically, when you suffer an acute knee injury, the biggest warning sign that you need immediate knee injury treatment is swelling. According to Yale Medicine, swelling after a knee injury indicates a serious injury that necessitates immediate medical care. Rapid, extreme swelling that occurs in the three to four hours after an acute trauma impacts the knee is typically a sign that blood is trapped in the joint.
What To Do After a Knee Injury in Peerless Park, MO
When in doubt, err on the side of caution and seek out medical care right away after you notice a potential knee injury. Especially in the case of an acute or sudden injury, the commonly known RICE method can help mitigate the damage and support your knee injury recovery with a swift response to the trauma.
The RICE method refers to:
- Rest. If you experience pain or suspect a knee injury, do not force any activity or introduce any additional undue stress to the joint. If possible, avoid putting weight on the affected knee and minimize movement.
- Ice. The application of ice or a cold compress after an injury like a knee injury can help temporarily ease the pain and reduce swelling. When using ice on an injury, do not apply the ice directly on bare skin and remember to follow an alternating schedule of 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.
- Compression. It may be helpful to wrap the injured knee with a soft, elastic bandage or ace wrap. Take care not to wrap the area so tight that it causes pain or cuts off blood and oxygen circulation to the injured area.
- Elevate. During the initial resting time after the occurrence of your knee injury, you can use pillows, a stool, or another prop or structure to help keep your injured knee elevated higher than your heart. This elevation can stimulate reparative blood flow to the injury, reduce pressure and throbbing, and encourage the removal of waste from the area.
Knee Injury Physical Therapy in Peerless Park, MO
When you come to Axes Physical Therapy for knee injury treatment near you in the Peerless Park, MO area, you will be assigned one dedicated physical therapist who will work with you for the entirety of your knee injury physical therapy treatment plan in Peerless Park, MO. With years of clinical experience restoring knee injury patients back to optimal performance, your physical therapist will put their advanced education and the latest empirical data on the most up-to-date treatment practices to use to help you successfully heal from your Peerless Park, MO knee injury and return to all the activities you care about and need to be able to do for work, home, and recreation.
During your first Peerless Park, MO appointment with Axes for your knee injury, your physical therapist will conduct a full injury screening and evaluation of your condition. From providing a full and accurate picture of your overall health to consistently practicing the prescribed treatments and exercises, you are a critical piece in your knee injury treatment puzzle. It is imperative that you are an active participant in your physical therapy treatment of your knee injury.
Your physical therapist will devise a custom treatment plan to eliminate pain and other symptoms, repair tissue damage, and restore your mobility. To this end, your physical therapist may employ a variety of therapies to target the source of your knee injury.
- Therapeutic exercises and stretches
- Gait and posture training
- Heat and ice applications
- Electric stimulation
- Kinesiology taping
- Soft tissue massages or knee joint mobilization
The movement health professionals at Axes Physical Therapy in the Peerless Park, MO area have successfully treated hundreds of patients with pain, injuries, and chronic conditions and have restored their ability to do the activities they love. Learn more about our treatment capabilities and the types of conditions we specialize in for patients near Peerless Park, MO, such as:
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
Recover from your Knee Injury in Peerless Park, MO Now
If you recently experienced a knee injury while being active or are suffering from any symptoms that you think may be caused by any type of knee injury, do not waste any time. Contact a knowledgeable healthcare professional as soon as possible. As musculoskeletal specialists with expertise in movement and the human body, the physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy in Peerless Park, MO will take charge of your recovery. Contact the professionals at any of our accessible treatment locations in the Peerless Park, MO area to begin your healing journey and obtain relief from your knee injury.