Knee Injury in Country Life Acres, MO
Knee Injury in Country Life Acres, MO. A knee injury has the power to disrupt your day to day living, and often results in long-term harm. There is nobody in Country Life Acres, MO who is completely immune to the threat of a knee injury. Knee injuries can happen in any number of situations — often when you least expect it. However, knee injuries are most commonly caused by aging, repetitive motions, and trauma and damage caused by an accident or while being physically active.
If you have any symptoms related to the knee — pain, buckling, stiffness, swelling or irritation — you could be suffering from a knee injury. Increase your chances of a full, successful recovery by trusting the movement experts at Axes Physical Therapy near Country Life Acres, MO. The experienced staff of physical and occupational therapists will lead you toward a stronger, healthier, pain-free you.
What Do I Need to Know About Knee Injuries?
The knee earns the title of the largest joint in the human body, and one that is integral to many of the actions, motions, and functions that distinguish us from other animals, making it possible for us to accomplishing the complex tasks our busy lives require. The knee is made up of four types of structures, any of which can be injured or damaged. The knee is made up of bones, cartilage, ligaments, and tendons.
There are multiple bones that make up the knee, including the tibia, femur, and patella. The bones are held in place by muscle groups, connected by tendons and ligaments, that work together to make it possible for us to move our legs. In addition to joining the separate bones together within the joint, ligaments act to provide stability and prevent movement in certain directions. Inside the joint, the ends of the bones are capped by a layer of cartilage. The cartilage tissue cushions the hard bones where they meet and absorbs the shock of movement and weight that introduce pressure to the joint.
All parts that make up the knee, whether soft tissue or bone, are critical to the knee’s ability to function as a strong and healthy joint, and damage to any one or more of these areas can lead to a knee injury. If you or a family member recently experienced any kind of trauma to your knee or surrounding area or have a chronic condition that could lead to damage to the knee structure, speak with Axes Physical Therapy to discuss your knee injury treatment options in Country Life Acres, MO today or make an appointment online now.
Prevalence and Common Causes of Knee Injuries in Country Life Acres, MO and the US
The knee is a complex part of the human anatomy — an impeccably constructed joint that allows us to execute tasks and movements other animals cannot. But this complex joint is susceptible to a number of different injuries. In fact, knee injuries account for the most common type of sports injury, attributed with 41 percent of all sports injuries. And sports injuries make up only one category of knee injury that people in Country Life Acres, MO and throughout the US can suffer. While physical activity is the more popular cause of knee injuries in young people, older adults more often get knee injuries after falling or due to the development of a chronic condition such as osteoarthritis.
Learn more about knee injuries through the following facts and statistics provided by Society for Academic Emergency Medicine:
- Adolescents and young adults (patients ranging in age from 15 years old to their late 20’s) are the most likely to suffer a knee injury
- Men experience knee injuries far more often than women, making up 68% of all knee injury sufferers
- Fifty percent of all knee injuries take place during physical activity
- Of sports-related knee injuries, soccer and skiing are the most dangerous sports and activities, each responsible for more than a quarter of all sports knee injuries
- After sports injuries, most common knee injury causes are related to home structures at 30.2% and home furnishings at 13.6%
- The overwhelmingly most common knee injury diagnoses are strains and sprains at 42.1%, followed by contusions and abrasions at 27.1% and lacerations and puncture wounds at 10.5%
Common Types of Knee Injuries in Country Life Acres, MO
- Sprains and Strains. A sprain or strain knee injury involves a muscle or ligament within the joint structure of the knee. Injuries of this nature are caused by sudden force to the knee or a sudden or unintended motion of the knee (for example, planting the foot and pivoting, twisting the knee in the wrong direction).
- Fractures. A fracture describes a broken bone, and these kinds of injuries range in extent from a stress fracture or crack in the bone to something much more devastating like a comminuted fracture when a bone shatters into multiple fragments. Even the patella, the bone commonly known as the kneecap, can be broken during a knee injury, especially in car accidents, hard falls against solid objects, assaults and other catastrophic events.
- Cartilage or Ligament Tears. Damage to the ligaments and cartilage in and around the knee are often caused by a blow to the knee from various directions. Twisting, pivoting, and other sudden changes in direction can also cause a meniscus tear (the cartilage between the bones in the knee) and/or anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear injuries. You can get more information about our treatment and therapy services for Country Life Acres, MO ACL tears near you.
- Arthritis. There are countless variations of arthritis and each patient has their own unique experience of their condition. However, if you live with a chronic condition like arthritis and experience knee injury symptoms like pain and limited mobility, you may have an arthritis-induced knee injury. You may even be at risk of developing bone spurs. Arthritis can result in rapid and irreparable damage of the cartilage and in your knee joint. The right care that targets the underlying cause of your pain can prevent further damage
- Tendonitis and Inflammation. Tendons in the knee area can become inflamed through overuse or repeated stress, common in patients who engage in frequent running, jumping, or cycling activities. One of the most common types of tendonitis knee injuries is what is known as jumper’s knee. This condition is caused by the repeated force of hitting the ground after jumping.
Risk Factors for a Knee Injury in Country Life Acres, MO
- Excessive weight. Heaviness or obesity increases stress on the majority of your joints including your knees, even during ordinary activities such as walking or going up and down stairs. Being at an unhealthy excessive weight is also a risk factor for developing osteoarthritis because it speeds up the breakdown of joint cartilage.
- Weakness or stiffness. Inadequate strength or flexibility can put you at a heightened risk of succumbing to a knee injury. Strong muscles protect your joints and keep them properly aligned, while adequately flexible muscles make it possible to achieve full range of motion.
- Certain activities and occupations. Some sports put greater stress on your knees than do others. Alpine skiing with its rigid ski boots and potential for falls, basketball jumps and pivots, and the repeated force of running or jogging on hard surfaces like pavement all involve a risk of knee injury in Country Life Acres, MO. Occupations that require activities that put stress on the knees like installation or farming also can increase your risk.
- History of previous injury. Having a previous knee injury puts you at a higher risk of injuring your knee again.
- Old age. As we age, the tissues in our body wear down. The cartilage protecting your knee joint can wear thin, and diseases like osteoporosis make your bones weak and susceptible to injury.
Do I Need Knee Injury Treatment in Country Life Acres, MO?
As always, each patient is different and you should always consult with a licensed medical professional when a knee injury or any condition makes it difficult or impossible for you to function as normal or causes you serious pain. After all, if there was a treatment solution that could treat your chronic pain and restore your mobility in a joint as important as the knee, wouldn’t you try it?
While your experience as a knee injury sufferer is unique, in some cases emergency medical attention should be sought. Specifically, when you suffer an acute knee injury, the biggest warning sign that you need immediate knee injury treatment is swelling. According to Yale Medicine, swelling after a knee injury is a hallmark sign that the injury is serious and medical care is warranted. Immediate, significant swelling that happens in the three to four hours after an acute trauma impacts the knee is usually a sign that blood is trapped in the joint.
What To Do After a Knee Injury in Country Life Acres, MO
When in doubt, err on the side of caution and seek out medical care right away after you notice a potential knee injury. Especially in the case of an acute or sudden injury, the commonly known RICE method can help mitigate the damage and support your knee injury recovery with a swift response to the trauma.
The RICE method refers to:
- Rest. If you experience pain or suspect a knee injury, do not force any activity or introduce any additional undue stress to the joint. If possible, avoid putting weight on the affected knee and minimize movement.
- Ice. The application of ice or a cold compress after an injury like a knee injury can help temporarily ease the pain and reduce swelling. When using ice on an injury, do not apply the ice directly on bare skin and remember to follow an alternating schedule of 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.
- Compression. It may be helpful to wrap the injured knee with a soft, elastic bandage or ace wrap. Take care not to wrap the area so tight that it causes pain or cuts off blood and oxygen circulation to the injured area.
- Elevate. During the initial resting time after the occurrence of your knee injury, you can use pillows, a stool, or another prop or structure to help keep your injured knee elevated higher than your heart. This elevation can stimulate reparative blood flow to the injury, reduce pressure and throbbing, and encourage the removal of waste from the area.
Knee Injury Physical Therapy in Country Life Acres, MO
As a valued knee injury treatment patient with Axes Physical Therapy in the Country Life Acres, MO area, you will be assigned a dedicated physical therapist who will lead your knee injury recovery by administering a custom physical therapy treatment plan in Country Life Acres, MO. With extensive clinical success restoring knee injury patients back to full movement health, your physical therapist will draw upon their extensive education and the most current evidence-based practices to help you successfully heal from your Country Life Acres, MO knee injury and return to all the activities you value so you can go about your regular life at home, at work, and in your personal time.
When you visit Axes near Country Life Acres, MO for your first appointment after a suspected knee injury, your physical therapist will perform an evaluation of your overall condition, health history, and an injury screening. From ensuring that your physical therapist is operating with a complete picture of your condition and overall health to consistently engaging in the prescribed exercises, you are a critical piece in your knee injury treatment puzzle. It is imperative that you are an active participant in your physical therapy treatment of your knee injury.
Your physical therapist will devise a custom treatment plan to eliminate pain and other symptoms, repair tissue damage, and restore your mobility. To this end, your physical therapy treatment may involve a variety of therapies to target your knee injury.
- Therapeutic exercises and stretches
- Training to correct posture, gait, or other movement technique
- Heat and ice therapies
- Electric stimulation
- Kinesiology taping
- Soft tissue massages or knee joint mobilization
The physical and occupational therapists at Axes Physical Therapy in the Country Life Acres, MO area have experience guiding patients with all kinds of movement disorders, chronic pain, and injuries back to the life and activities they love. Learn more about our treatment capabilities and the types of conditions we specialize in for patients near Country Life Acres, MO, such as:
- Joint Pain
- Dry Needling
- ACL Tear
- Pain Management
- Rotator Cuff Tear
- Arthritis Treatment
- Sports Injury
Recover from your Knee Injury in Country Life Acres, MO Now
If you recently experienced a knee injury or are experiencing any symptoms that you think may be caused by any type of knee injury, do not waste any time. Contact a experienced healthcare professional right away. As licensed physical and occupational therapists with decades of clinical experience restoring the mobility of our patients, the physical therapists of Axes Physical Therapy in Country Life Acres, MO will guide you in your recovery by creating a personalized treatment plan based on the latest proven practices in movement health. Contact our Country Life Acres, MO treatment professionals or find our facility that is most convenient for you to begin your healing journey and obtain relief from your knee injury.