Spine Specialist Near Me in Kirkwood, MO
Spine specialist near me in Kirkwood, MO. Spinal conditions can make normal tasks like bending over excruciating, and keep us from our best possible movement health. For athletes, back injuries can prevent you from being at peak performance. For workers, it can prevent you from providing for your Kirkwood, MO loved ones. For others, it can prevent us from going on bike ride or other physical activities. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to what you love doing most. By creating a custom treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re prepared to finally move on from the issues holding you back, schedule an appointment with an Axes Kirkwood, MO spine specialist, or call the Axes location nearest you.
Missouri law requires a prescription for physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or find that back pain is disrupting your daily life, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Kirkwood, MO is right for you. In the meantime, visit one of our locations for one of Axes’ free injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and plays a fundamental role in most movements and how the body communicates with itself. It starts at the base of your brain and ends at your tailbone. There are several different parts of your spine:
The spine has 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions allow us to move; the others are immobile.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb shock and prevent the vertebrae from grinding against each other. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a softer middle known as the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb shock, and a tough, circular exterior called the annulus fibrosus that surrounds and protects the nucleus pulposus.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular structure, from your brain to your pelvis, where the nerves continue into your lower extremities. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The nerves extend to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae called the neural foramen. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
The spine also has muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments connect bones together, hold them together, and give them structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different conditions can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can keep you from the activities you love most. If you’re dealing with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Kirkwood, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Conditions Can a Spine Specialist in Kirkwood, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians developed guidelines that include a variety of physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently sustained a work injury, Axes’ Kirkwood, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we provide relief and improved function for in Kirkwood, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either an injury or general degradation as we get older. They can impinge on a nerve which can be painful and limit function. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins in the lower spine. Symptoms include crippling pain, weakness, and tingling through your buttock and leg.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the vertebral column is too small. Symptoms include pain, problems with walking or other movements, and numbness or tingling in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is the inflammation of the facet joints. It occurs as the cushioning between the joints degrades over time or from over-exertion. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Common causes are obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for soft tissue injuries such as whiplash.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Kirkwood, MO spine specialists will work with you and your doctor to develop an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the things you love doing most and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like degenerative disc disease, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy can be part of a comprehensive treatment plan that eases symptoms and returns optimal mobility.
If your spine condition requires surgery, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Kirkwood, MO to help you be healthy for surgery and recovery quickly and safely.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For You in Kirkwood, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to research published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, without the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Kirkwood, MO physical therapist is proven to reduce the risk of long-term opioid use.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and create a treatment plan based on your medical history, your age, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through a variety of exercises and manual therapy, physical therapy can reduce pain, improve the function of your spine by improving strength and flexibility, enhance range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on your specific condition, your Kirkwood, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help return you to the activities you love:
- Manual Therapy — Our Kirkwood, MO manual therapists are experts at using subtle manipulations and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Manual therapy we may include in your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for getting your soft tissue, joints, and bones stronger and more flexible. Beyond decreasing symptoms now, certain exercises will allow you to maintain a healthy spine when you’re on the move. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s incredibly frustrating to feel like you’ve gotten past an injury, only to aggravate it. We’ll educate you about your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you can learn how to be active safely. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Kirkwood, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to optimal function and helping you stay there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will designed based on time-tested techniques.
Other services we offer in Kirkwood, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Kirkwood, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition prevent you from the activities you love. At Axes, our Kirkwood, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with this condition, but you can choose to do something about it. For a licensed and experienced Kirkwood, MO spine specialist to help you, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location closest to you