Spine Specialist Near Me in Osage Hills, MO
Spine specialist near me in Osage Hills, MO. Lower back issues can make normal activities like laying down excruciating, and disturb how our bodies function. For physically active people, back issues can prevent you from being at peak performance. For breadwinners, it can prevent you from putting food on the table for your Osage Hills, MO loved ones. For others, it can prevent us from taking walks or playing with our grandkids like we love doing. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help you get back to what you love doing most. By developing a personalized treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the lifestyle you desire. If you’re ready to finally move on from a crippling back condition, schedule an appointment with an Axes Osage Hills, MO spine specialist, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §334.506, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are find that back pain is disrupting your daily life, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Osage Hills, MO is what you need. You can also come see us for one of Axes’ no-obligation injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and allows our brain and body to coordinate with each other. It extends from the base of your brain to your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
There are 33 vertebrae from the top to bottom of the spine, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. Every vertebra has a hole in the center to protect the spinal cord and its nerves. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions are the only ones that can move; the others are fused into place.
Facet joints are the small joints that connect the bony tips of vertebrae on the back of the spine. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move safely.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb shock and prevent the vertebrae from grinding against each other. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a softer center called the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb shock, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord consists of nerves running up the bones in your spine, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves continue into your lower body. The spinal cord is protected by spinal fluid and a membrane called dura mater. The neural foramen are openings in the vertebrae where the nerves to go into other parts of the body. The spinal cord carries messages between our brain and other parts of our body.
Surrounding and within the spine are also various types of soft tissue. Ligaments attach vertebrae and holds them in the correct structure. Muscles are connected to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different conditions can interfere with the spine and significantly limit your ability to enjoy the things you love doing. If you’re dealing with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Osage Hills, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Osage Hills, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians developed guidelines that include a variety of physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently suffered a sports injury, Axes’ Osage Hills, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we provide relief and improved function for in Osage Hills, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be the result of either acute trauma or wear and tear from aging. They put pressure on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and originates in the lumbar region. It can lead to crippling pain, weakness, and tingling down one side of your body.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the vertebral column is too small. Symptoms include pain, balance problems, and numbness or tingling in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It onsets as the cushioning between the joints degrades over time or from over-exertion. Obesity, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions can also lead to arthritis. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which can affect the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a clear, diagnosable cause. Axial back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Osage Hills, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your doctor to design a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the things you love doing most and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like stenosis, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy is an effective part of a comprehensive wellness routine that eases symptoms and achieves optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Osage Hills, MO to help you be healthy for surgery and recovery quickly and safely.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Osage Hills, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to research published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, and doesn’t involve the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Osage Hills, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to reduce long-term opioid dependence.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and design a treatment plan based on your injures, how old you are, and your desired activity level. Through a variety of exercises and manual manipulations, physical therapy can reduce pain, help your spine and nervous system function better, boost range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on what is causing your back pain or other symptoms, your Osage Hills, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Manual Therapy — Our Osage Hills, MO manual therapists are experts at using subtle pressures and stretches to decrease back pain due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may include in your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. Beyond managing symptoms now, certain exercises will also help overall function and improve movement health. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’ve overcome an injury, only to aggravate it. We’ll educate you about the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you can learn how to be active safely. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Osage Hills, MO will be holistic and focused on getting you to optimal movement health and helping you stay there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will be based on time-tested techniques.
Other services we offer in Osage Hills, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Osage Hills, MO
Don’t allow a back injury keep you from living the life you want. At Axes, our Osage Hills, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with back pain, but you can choose to do something about it. For a licensed and knowledgeable Osage Hills, MO spine specialist to help you, schedule an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy now or contact the location closest to you