Spine Specialist Near Me in Dittmer, MO
Spine specialist near me in Dittmer, MO. Lower back pain can make everyday tasks like laying down excruciating, and keep us from our best possible movement health. For physically active people, back issues can prevent you from being at peak performance. For breadwinners, it can prevent you from putting food on the table for your Dittmer, MO loved ones. For others, it can keep us from taking walks or other physical activities. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help you get back to what you love doing most. By developing a custom treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the lifestyle you desire. If you’re ready to finally move on from debilitating back pain, schedule an evaluation with an Axes Dittmer, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §334.506, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or find that back pain is keeping you from the activities you love, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Dittmer, MO is right for you. You can also visit one of our offices for one of Axes’ complimentary injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and plays a fundamental role in most movements and how the body communicates with itself. It extends from the base of your skull to your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
There are 33 vertebrae stacked along the spine, which are small bones that form the backbone. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions allow us to move; the others are immobile.
Facet joints are the small joints that connect the bony tips of vertebrae on the back of the spine. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that absorb shock and prevent the vertebrae from grinding against each other. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a “gel-like” middle called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that prevent the nucleus pulposus from leaking out.
The spinal cord is a collection of nerves running up the bones in your spine, from your brain to your pelvis, where the nerves continue into your lower extremities. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The nerves branch out to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
The spine also has various types of soft tissue. Ligaments attach vertebrae, hold them in place, and give them structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
A well-functioning spine relies on all of these different structures to function properly and in unison to achieve optimal movement health and a pain free life. Numerous different conditions can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can keep you from the activities you love most. When that happens, a spine specialist in Dittmer, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to the lifestyle you desire.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Dittmer, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians recommends a variety of physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a daily basis or recently sustained a work injury, Axes’ Dittmer, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we help with in Dittmer, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either an injury or wear and tear as we get older. They put pressure on a nerve which can be painful and limit function. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is an umbrella term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and begins near your tailbone. Symptoms include immense pain, weakness, and tingling from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the space inside your backbone is too small. It can cause pain, balance issues, and loss of sensation in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is the inflammation of the facet joints. It occurs as the cushioning between the joints wears down over time or from over-exertion. Obesity, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions can also lead to arthritis. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the facet joints of the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also known as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a clear, diagnosable cause. Nonspecific back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for soft tissue injuries such as whiplash.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Dittmer, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your physician to come up with an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like degenerative disc disease, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy is an effective part of a comprehensive treatment plan that eases symptoms and returns optimal mobility.
If your spine condition requires surgery, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Dittmer, MO to help get the best results possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Dittmer, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, without the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Dittmer, MO physical therapist is proven to limit long-term opioid dependence.
A knowledgeable and experienced spine specialist will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and design a treatment plan based on your medical history, how old you are, and your desired activity level. Through numerous different exercises and manual therapy, physical therapy can reduce pain, improve the function of your spine by improving strength and flexibility, boost flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Issues
Depending on your specific condition, your Dittmer, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Hands-On Care — Our Dittmer, MO manual therapists are able to use subtle manipulations and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may use to help you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for getting your body stronger and more flexible. Beyond reducing symptoms now, certain exercises will also help overall function and improve movement health. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’re moving on from an injury, only to aggravate it. We’ll educate you about your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you can learn how to be active safely. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Dittmer, MO will be holistic and focused on getting you to your best possible movement health and keeping you there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will designed based on proven techniques.
Other services we offer in Dittmer, MO include:
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Dittmer, MO
Don’t allow a back injury keep you from what you love doing most. At Axes, our Dittmer, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you can choose to do something about it. For a licensed and knowledgeable Dittmer, MO spine specialist to help you, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you