Spine Specialist Near Me in Mehlville, MO
Spine specialist near me in Mehlville, MO. Spinal conditions can make basic tasks like laying down painful, and disturb how our bodies function. For physically active people, back injuries can keep you from being at the top of their game. For breadwinners, it can obstruct your ability to provide for your Mehlville, MO loved ones. For others, it can keep us from going on bike ride or other physical activities. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help you get back to the functional and pain-free life you’re seeking. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re prepared to at long last be free from the issues holding you back, schedule an appointment with an Axes Mehlville, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.
According to Missouri law, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are living with chronic pain, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Mehlville, MO can be safe and effective for you. You can also take advantage of one of our no-obligation injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It starts at the base of your brain and ends at your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
There are 33 vertebrae from the top to bottom of the spine, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. Every vertebra has a hole in the center to safeguard the spinal cord and its nerves. There are five vertebral groups. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions are the only ones that can move; the others are fused into place.
Each vertebra is connected to two facet joints which connect the bones to each other. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. They are lined with cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move without grinding against each other.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb the stress and shock the body incurs when moving. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a softer middle called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and an outer ring of tough fibers known as the annulus fibrosus that surrounds and protects the gel-like center.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular structure, from your brain to your pelvis, where the nerves go into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The neural foramen are openings in the vertebrae that allow the nerves to go into other parts of the body. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
The spine also has various types of soft tissue. Ligaments attach bones together, hold them in place, and give them structure. Muscles are attached to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
A well-functioning spine relies on all of these systems to function properly and in unison to achieve optimal movement health and a pain free life. Numerous different factors can interfere with the spine and keep you from the activities you love most. When that happens, a spine specialist in Mehlville, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Conditions Can a Spine Specialist in Mehlville, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians recommends a variety of physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently sustained a sports injury, Axes’ Mehlville, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we help with in Mehlville, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be due to either acute trauma or wear and tear as we get older. They can impinge on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is an umbrella term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and originates near your tailbone. Symptoms include debilitating pain, weakness, and numbness through your buttock and leg.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. Symptoms include pain, balance issues, and numbness or tingling in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It onsets as the cushioning between the joints degrades over time or from over-exertion. Obesity, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions can also lead to arthritis. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which can affect the facet joints of the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also referred to as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Axial back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Mehlville, MO spine specialists will work in tandem with you and your physician to design a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the activities you love and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like degenerative disc disease, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy can be part of a comprehensive treatment plan that reduces pain and other symptoms and returns optimal mobility.
If your spine condition requires surgery, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Mehlville, MO to help you be healthy for surgery and recovery quickly and safely.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For You in Mehlville, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-surgical option for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a study published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, and doesn’t involve the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Mehlville, MO physical therapist is proven to limit long-term opioid dependence.
A licensed spine specialist will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and design a treatment plan based on your medical history, your age, and your desired activity level. Through numerous different exercises and manual therapy, physical therapy can reduce pain, improve the function of your spine by increasing strength and flexibility, boost flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Issues
Depending on your specific condition, your Mehlville, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Hands-On Care — Our Mehlville, MO manual therapists are experts at using light manipulations and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Manual therapy we may incorporate into your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for getting your soft tissue, joints, and bones stronger and more flexible. Beyond limiting symptoms now, certain exercises will also help overall function and improve movement health. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s beyond frustrating to believe you’re moving on from an injury, only to aggravate it. We help you understand the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you’ll know how to stay healthy in the future. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Mehlville, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to your best possible function and keeping you there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will designed based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other services we offer in Mehlville, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Mehlville, MO
Don’t allow a back injury keep you from the activities you love. At Axes, our Mehlville, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you can choose to do something about it. For a professional and qualified Mehlville, MO spine specialist to treat you, request an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy now or find the location nearest you