Spine Specialist Near Me in Labadie, MO
Spine specialist near me in Labadie, MO. Lower back pain can make normal tasks like laying down excruciating, and interrupt how our bodies function. For physically active people, back injuries can prevent you from being at the top of their game. For workers, it can impede your ability to put food on the table for your Labadie, MO family. For others, it can keep us from taking walks or playing with our grandkids like we love doing. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help you get back to the functional and pain-free life you’re seeking. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the strength, flexibility, and pain relief your body needs to function, and that you need to live your best life. If you’re ready to at long last move on from a crippling back condition, schedule an evaluation with an Axes Labadie, MO spine specialist, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.
Missouri Revised Statute §334.506 mandates that a prescription is required for physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are living with chronic pain, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Labadie, MO is what you need. In the meantime, visit one of our offices for one of Axes’ free injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and plays a fundamental role in most movements and how the body communicates with itself. It extends from the base of your brain to your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
The spine consists of 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions allow us to move; the others are fused into place.
Each vertebra is connected to two facet joints which connect the bones to each other. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move safely.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb the stress and shock the body is put under when moving. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a softer center known as the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb shock, and a tough, circular exterior called the annulus fibrosus that prevent the nucleus pulposus from leaking out.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular collection of nerves, from your brain to your tailbone, where the nerves continue into your legs. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebrae and other tissue. The neural foramen are openings in the vertebrae where the nerves to go into other parts of the body. The spinal cord carries messages between our brain and other parts of our body.
The spine also has various types of soft tissue. Ligaments connect bones together and holds them in the correct structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
A healthy spine relies on all of these different structures to function properly and in unison to achieve optimal movement health and a pain free life. Numerous different factors can interfere with the spine and severely limit your ability to enjoy the things you love doing. If you’re dealing with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Labadie, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to the lifestyle you desire.
What Conditions Can a Spine Specialist in Labadie, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians developed guidelines that include a variety of physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently sustained a sports injury, Axes’ Labadie, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we provide relief and improved function for in Labadie, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be due to either acute trauma or wear and tear from aging. They can impinge on a nerve which can be painful and limit function. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins in the lower spine. Symptoms include debilitating pain, weakness, and tingling from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the space inside your backbone is too small. It can cause pain, balance problems, and numbness or tingling in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It occurs as the cushioning between the joints wears down over time or from overuse. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also known as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a clear, diagnosable cause. Axial back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Labadie, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your physician to come up with an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like arthritis, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a comprehensive wellness routine that reduces pain and other symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Labadie, MO to help get the best results possible.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For You in Labadie, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-surgical option for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a paper published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, without the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Labadie, MO physical therapist is proven to limit the risk of long-term opioid use.
A qualified spine specialist will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and build a treatment plan based on your injures, your age, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through numerous different exercises and techniques, physical therapy can limit symptoms, help your spine and nervous system function better, enhance range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Issues
Depending on your specific condition, your Labadie, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help return you to what you love doing most:
- Hands-On Care — Our Labadie, MO manual therapists are experts at using subtle pressures and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may use to treat you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. Beyond managing symptoms now, guided exercise will also help overall function and improve movement health. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s incredibly frustrating to feel like you’re moving on from an injury, only to aggravate it. We help you understand your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you’ll know how to protect your spine while being active. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Labadie, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to optimal function and helping you stay there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will be based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other services we offer in Labadie, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Labadie, MO
Don’t let a back injury prevent you from the activities you love. At Axes, our Labadie, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with this condition, but you do not have to decide to live with it. For a licensed and experienced Labadie, MO spine specialist to treat you, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy now or reach out to the location most convenient for you