Spine Specialist Near Me in Potosi, MO
Spine specialist near me in Potosi, MO. Spinal conditions can make basic activities like standing up painful, and disturb how our bodies function. For people who play sports, back issues can prevent you from being at peak performance. For breadwinners, it can prevent you from putting food on the table for your Potosi, MO family. For others, it can prevent us from taking walks or playing with our grandkids like we love doing. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help you get back to what you love doing most. By creating a personalized treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the lifestyle you desire. If you’re ready to finally move on from a crippling back condition, request an appointment with an Axes Potosi, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.
Missouri Revised Statute §334.506 requires a prescription for physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or find that back pain is disrupting your daily life, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Potosi, MO is right for you. You can also visit one of our offices for one of our complimentary injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It begins at the base of your brain and ends at your pelvis. The spine is made up of:
The spine has 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. Every vertebra has a hole in the center to protect the spinal cord and its nerves. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions allow us to move; the others are fused into place.
Facet joints connect the vertebrae. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. They are lined with cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that absorb the stress and shock the body incurs when moving. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a softer center called the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb impact, and an outer ring of tough fibers called the annulus fibrosus that surrounds and protects the nucleus pulposus.
The spinal cord consists of nerves running up the bones in your spine, from your brain to your pelvis, where the nerves continue into your lower extremities. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The nerves extend to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
Surrounding and within the spine are also muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments attach vertebrae, hold them together, and give them structure. Muscles are attached to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
Achieving the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different conditions can interfere with the spine and keep you from the things you love doing. When that happens, a spine specialist in Potosi, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to doing what you love most.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Potosi, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians recommends numerous physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently sustained a sports injury, Axes’ Potosi, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we treat in Potosi, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be due to either acute trauma or wear and tear as we get older. They put pressure on a nerve which can be painful and limit function. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is a general term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins near your tailbone. It can cause to immense pain, weakness, and numbness through your buttock and leg.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the space inside your backbone is too small. It can cause pain, balance issues, and numbness or tingling in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It onsets as the cartilage between the joints wears down over time or from over-exertion. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the facet joints of the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also referred to as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Nonspecific back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Potosi, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your physician to design an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the things you love doing most and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like stenosis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy can be part of a holistic treatment plan that eases symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If what’s ailing you requires surgery, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Potosi, MO to help get the best results possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Potosi, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, without the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Potosi, MO physical therapist is proven to reduce the risk of long-term opioid use.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and build a treatment plan based on your medical history, how old you are, and your desired activity level. Through a variety of exercises and manual manipulations, physical therapy can limit symptoms, improve the function of your spine by increasing strength and flexibility, enhance range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on what is causing your back pain or other symptoms, your Potosi, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help return you to the activities you love:
- Hands-On Care — Our Potosi, MO manual therapists are experts at using light manipulations and stretches to decrease back pain due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may use to treat you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. Beyond reducing symptoms now, certain exercises will allow you to maintain a well-functioning spine while going to work or doing the activities you love most. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’ve overcome an injury, only to aggravate it. We help you understand your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you can learn how to be active safely. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Potosi, MO will be exhaustive and focused on getting you to your best possible function and helping you stay there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will be based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other services we offer in Potosi, MO include:
- Total Knee Replacement Physical Therapy
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Potosi, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition prevent you from living the life you want. At Axes, our Potosi, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you can choose to do something about it. For a licensed and experienced Potosi, MO spine specialist to treat you, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or contact the location closest to you