Spine Specialist Near Me in Womack, MO
Spine specialist near me in Womack, MO. Lower back issues can make basic activities like walking up the stairs painful, and disrupt how our bodies function. For physically active people, back problems can prevent you from being at peak performance. For workers, it can prevent you from putting food on the table for your Womack, MO family. For others, it can keep us from taking walks or playing with our children like we love doing. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help you get back to the functional and pain-free life you’re looking for. By developing a personalized treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the lifestyle you desire. If you’re ready to at long last move on from the issues holding you back, schedule an evaluation with an Axes Womack, MO spine specialist, or get in touch with the Axes location nearest you.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §334.506, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or living with chronic pain, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Womack, MO can be safe and effective for you. In the meantime, take advantage of one of Axes’ free injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It extends from the base of your brain to your tailbone. The spine consists of:
The spine has 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. Every vertebra has a hole in the middle to safeguard the spinal cord and its nerves. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions provide mobility; the others are fused when we’re babies.
Facet joints are the small joints that connect the bony tips of vertebrae on the back of the spine. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. They are lined with cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move without grinding against each other.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a “gel-like” center called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior called the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord consists of nerves that travel through the vertebrae, from your brain to your tailbone, where the nerves continue into your lower body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The nerves branch out to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae called the neural foramen. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
Surrounding and within the spine are also muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments connect vertebrae and holds them in the correct structure. Muscles are connected to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different conditions can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can significantly limit your ability to enjoy the activities you love most. If you’re living with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Womack, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Womack, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians developed guidelines that include numerous physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a everyday basis or recently suffered a work injury, Axes’ Womack, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we help with in Womack, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either acute trauma or general degradation from aging. They can impinge on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins in the lumbar region. Symptoms include immense pain, weakness, and numbness through your buttock and leg.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the space inside your backbone is too small. It can cause pain, issues with walking or other movements, and loss of sensation in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is swelling or tenderness in one or more joints. It onsets as the cartilage between the joints wears down over time or from repeated trauma. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which can affect the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Common causes are obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Womack, MO spine specialists will work alongside you and your doctor to design a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the activities you love and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like degenerative disc disease, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy can be part of a holistic treatment plan that reduces pain and other symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If your spine condition requires surgery, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Womack, MO to help attain the best results possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Womack, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-surgical option for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to research published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, and doesn’t involve the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Womack, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to limit the risk of long-term opioid use.
A licensed spine specialist will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and develop a treatment plan based on your current and previous medical conditions, how old you are, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through numerous different exercises and manual therapy, physical therapy can limit symptoms, help your spine and nervous system function better, boost flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Issues
Depending on what is causing your back pain or spine dysfunction, your Womack, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help get you back to the activities you love:
- Hands-On Care — Our Womack, MO manual therapists are able to use light manipulations and stretches to decrease back pain caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Manual therapy we may include in your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. Beyond reducing symptoms now, guided exercise will allow you to maintain a healthy spine when you’re on the move. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s incredibly frustrating to believe you’re moving on from an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We’ll educate you about your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you’ll know how to stay healthy in the future. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Womack, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to optimal movement health and helping you stay there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will designed based on time-tested techniques.
Other services we offer in Womack, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Womack, MO
Don’t let a back injury prevent you from what you love doing most. At Axes, our Womack, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you can choose to do something about it. For a licensed and qualified Womack, MO spine specialist to help you, schedule an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy now or find the location closest to you