Spine Specialist Near Me in Valles Mines, MO
Spine specialist near me in Valles Mines, MO. Spinal conditions can make normal activities like standing up painful, and disrupt how our bodies function. For people who play sports, back problems can prevent you from being at the top of their game. For breadwinners, it can prevent you from providing for your Valles Mines, MO family. For others, it can prevent us from taking walks or playing with our children like we love doing. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to what you love doing most. By creating a personalized treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re ready to at long last move on from the issues holding you back, request an evaluation with an Axes Valles Mines, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location nearest you.
Missouri Revised Statute §334.506 mandates that a prescription is required for physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or find that back pain is keeping you from the activities you love, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Valles Mines, MO is what you need. In the meantime, take advantage of one of our no-obligation injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and allows our brain and body to coordinate with each other. It starts at the base of your skull and ends at your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
There are 33 vertebrae stacked along the spine, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. There are five vertebral groups. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions allow us to move; the others are fused when we’re babies.
Facet joints are the small joints that connect the bony tips of vertebrae on the back of the spine. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a “gel-like” middle known as the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb impact, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that surrounds and protects the nucleus pulposus.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular collection of nerves, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves extend into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebrae and other tissue. The nerves extend to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae called the neural foramen. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
The spine also has muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments attach bones together and holds them in the correct structure. Muscles are attached to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
A well-functioning spine needs all of these different structures to function properly and in unison to achieve optimal movement health and a pain free life. A variety of conditions can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can greatly limit your ability to enjoy the things you love doing. When that happens, a spine specialist in Valles Mines, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Valles Mines, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians recommends a variety of physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently suffered a work injury, Axes’ Valles Mines, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we help with in Valles Mines, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be the result of either acute trauma or general degradation from aging. They can impinge on a nerve which can be painful and limit function. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is an umbrella term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and begins near your tailbone. It can lead to immense pain, weakness, and tingling from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the vertebral column is too small. It can cause pain, balance problems, and loss of sensation in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is swelling or tenderness in one or more joints. It onsets as the cushioning between the joints wears down over time or from repeated trauma. Obesity, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions can also lead to arthritis. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also referred to as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain isn’t brought on by a clear, diagnosable cause. Nonspecific back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for soft tissue injuries such as muscle strains.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Valles Mines, MO spine specialists will work alongside you and your physician to develop a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the things you love doing most and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like stenosis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy can be part of a comprehensive wellness routine that reduces pain and other symptoms and achieves optimal mobility.
If what’s ailing you requires surgery, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Valles Mines, MO to help get the best results possible.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For You in Valles Mines, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a study published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, without the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Valles Mines, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to limit long-term opioid dependence.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and create a treatment plan based on your current and previous medical conditions, how old you are, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through numerous different exercises and manual therapy, physical therapy can limit symptoms, improve the function of your spine by increasing strength and flexibility, boost flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Issues
Depending on your specific condition, your Valles Mines, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Hands-On Care — Our Valles Mines, MO manual therapists are experts at using subtle manipulations and stretches to decrease back pain due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may incorporate into your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for getting your soft tissue, joints, and bones stronger and more flexible. In addition to limiting pain now, certain exercises will allow you to maintain a healthy spine when you’re on the move. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s incredibly frustrating to feel like you’ve gotten past an injury, only to aggravate it. We help you understand the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you can learn how to be active safely. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Valles Mines, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to optimal function and helping you stay there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will designed based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other services we offer in Valles Mines, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Valles Mines, MO
Don’t let a back injury keep you from what you love doing most. At Axes, our Valles Mines, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you do not have to choose to live with it. For a licensed and experienced Valles Mines, MO spine specialist to treat you, schedule an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy now or contact the location closest to you