Spine Specialist Near Me in Leslie, MO
Spine specialist near me in Leslie, MO. Lower back issues can make normal activities like laying down painful, and interrupt how our bodies function. For athletes, back problems can prevent you from being at the top of their game. For workers, it can prevent you from putting food on the table for your Leslie, MO family. For others, it can prevent us from going on bike ride or playing with our children like we love doing. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to what you love doing most. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re ready to finally move on from a crippling back condition, request an appointment with an Axes Leslie, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §334.506, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or living with chronic pain, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Leslie, MO is right for you. In the meantime, visit one of our locations for one of our free injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It extends from the base of your brain to your tailbone. The spine is made up of:
The spine consists of 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions allow us to move; the others are immobile.
Each vertebra is connected to two facet joints which connect the bones to each other. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. They are lined with cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb shock and prevent the vertebrae from grinding against each other. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a “gel-like” center called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord consists of nerves running up the bones in your spine, from your brain to your tailbone, where the nerves go into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The nerves branch out to other parts of the body through openings in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
Surrounding and within the spine are also muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments connect bones together and holds them in the correct structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different conditions can interfere with the spine and keep you from the activities you love most. If you’re dealing with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Leslie, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Leslie, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians recommends certain physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently suffered a sports injury, Axes’ Leslie, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we provide relief and improved function for in Leslie, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either an injury or wear and tear as we get older. They put pressure on a nerve which can be painful and limit mobility. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins near your tailbone. Symptoms include crippling pain, weakness, and tingling through your buttock and leg.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the vertebral column is too small. Symptoms include pain, problems with walking or other movements, and loss of sensation in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is the inflammation of the facet joints. It onsets as the cushioning between the joints wears down over time or from repeated injuries. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the facet joints of the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Nonspecific back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Leslie, MO spine specialists will work in concert with you and your doctor to develop an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the things you love doing most and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like stenosis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy can be part of a holistic wellness routine that reduces pain and other symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Leslie, MO to help your surgery go as well as possible.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For Me in Leslie, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a study published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, and doesn’t involve the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Leslie, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to limit long-term opioid dependence.
A professional spine specialist will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and develop a treatment plan based on your injures, your age, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through a variety of exercises and manual manipulations, physical therapy can limit symptoms, improve the function of your spine by increasing strength and flexibility, increase range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on your specific condition, your Leslie, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Manual Therapy — Our Leslie, MO manual therapists are able to use light pressures and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Manual therapy we may incorporate into your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for getting your body stronger and more flexible. In addition to reducing symptoms now, certain exercises will also help overall function and improve movement health. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’ve gotten past an injury, only to aggravate it. We help you understand your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you can learn how to be active safely. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Leslie, MO will be exhaustive and focused on getting you to your best possible function and keeping you there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will designed based on proven techniques.
Other services we offer in Leslie, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Leslie, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition keep you from living the life you want. At Axes, our Leslie, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you do not have to choose to live with it. For a licensed and experienced Leslie, MO spine specialist to treat you, schedule an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy today or contact the location nearest you