Spine Specialist Near Me in South County, MO
Spine specialist near me in South County, MO. Spine injuries can make normal activities like bending over difficult, and disturb how our bodies function. For people who play sports, back problems can prevent you from being at peak performance. For breadwinners, it can obstruct your ability to provide for your South County, MO loved ones. For others, it can keep us from taking walks or other physical activities. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to the functional and pain-free life you’re seeking. By developing a personalized treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re ready to finally move on from debilitating back pain, request an evaluation with an Axes South County, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §334.506, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are living with chronic pain, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in South County, MO is what you need. You can also come see us for one of Axes’ free injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It extends from the base of your skull to your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
The spine has 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that form the backbone. Every vertebra has a hole in the middle to protect the spinal cord and its nerves. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions allow us to move; the others are fused into place.
Each vertebra is connected to two facet joints which connect the bones to each other. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move safely.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a “gel-like” middle called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that prevent the gel-like center from leaking out.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular structure, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves continue into your lower body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebrae and other tissue. The nerves branch out to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae called the neural foramen. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
The spine also has muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments connect vertebrae, hold them in place, and give them structure. Muscles are attached to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
Achieving the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different conditions can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can keep you from the things you love doing. If you’re dealing with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in South County, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to doing what you love most.
What Conditions Can a Spine Specialist in South County, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians recommends certain physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a daily basis or recently suffered a sports injury, Axes’ South County, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we treat in South County, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either acute trauma or wear and tear as we get older. They can impinge on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and begins in the lumbar region. It can cause to crippling pain, weakness, and tingling from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It can cause pain, issues with walking or other movements, and loss of sensation in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It onsets as the cushioning between the joints degrades over time or from repeated injuries. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which can affect the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also known as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Common causes are obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with soft tissue injuries such as muscle strains.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our South County, MO spine specialists will work alongside you and your physician to design an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the things you love doing most and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like arthritis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy can be part of a comprehensive treatment plan that eases symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If what’s ailing you requires surgery, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in South County, MO to help attain the best results possible.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For Me in South County, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to a paper published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, without the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed South County, MO physical therapist is proven to reduce long-term opioid dependence.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and design a treatment plan based on your current and previous medical conditions, how old you are, and your desired activity level. Through numerous different exercises and manual manipulations, physical therapy can reduce pain, help your spine and nervous system function better, boost flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Issues
Depending on your specific condition, your South County, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help return you to what you love doing most:
- Hands-On Care — Our South County, MO manual therapists are experts at using subtle pressures and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Hand-on services we may incorporate into your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. Beyond managing symptoms now, certain exercises will allow you to maintain a healthy spine while going to work or doing the activities you love most. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’ve overcome an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We help you understand the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you can learn how to be active safely. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in South County, MO will be holistic and focused on getting you to optimal movement health and helping you stay there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will designed based on time-tested techniques.
Other conditions we help treat in South County, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in South County, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition prevent you from the activities you love. At Axes, our South County, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with back pain, but you can choose to do something about it. For a licensed and experienced South County, MO spine specialist to treat you, schedule an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy now or contact the location closest to you