Spine Specialist Near Me in Sunset Hills, MO
Spine specialist near me in Sunset Hills, MO. Lower back pain can make basic tasks like walking up the stairs painful, and disrupt how our bodies function. For physically active people, back injuries can prevent you from being at the top of their game. For workers, it can prevent you from putting food on the table for your Sunset Hills, MO loved ones. For others, it can keep us from taking walks or other physical activities. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help return to what you love doing most. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re ready to finally move on from debilitating back pain, schedule an appointment with an Axes Sunset Hills, MO spine specialist, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.
Missouri Revised Statute §334.506 mandates that a prescription is required for physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or living with chronic pain, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Sunset Hills, MO can be safe and effective for you. You can also come see us for one of Axes’ no-obligation injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It extends from the base of your skull to your tailbone. The spine is made up of:
There are 33 vertebrae stacked along the spine, which are small bones that form the backbone. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. There are five vertebral groups. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions allow us to move; the others are fused into place.
Each vertebra is connected to two facet joints which connect the bones to each other. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb shock and prevent the vertebrae from grinding against each other. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a “gel-like” middle called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior called the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular structure, from your brain to your tailbone, where the nerves continue into your lower extremities. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The nerves extend to other parts of the body through openings in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
Surrounding and within the spine are also various types of soft tissue. Ligaments attach vertebrae, hold them together, and give them structure. Muscles are attached to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. A variety of factors can interfere with the spine and keep you from the activities you love most. When that happens, a spine specialist in Sunset Hills, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to the lifestyle you desire.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Sunset Hills, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians recommends numerous physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently suffered a work injury, Axes’ Sunset Hills, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we help with in Sunset Hills, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be the result of either acute trauma or wear and tear as we get older. They put pressure on a nerve which can be painful and limit mobility. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is a general term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and originates in the lower spine. Symptoms include crippling pain, weakness, and numbness through your buttock and leg.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It can cause pain, balance issues, and numbness or tingling in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is the inflammation of the facet joints. It occurs as the cushioning between the joints wears down over time or from over-exertion. Obesity, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions can also lead to arthritis. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the facet joints of the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Nonspecific back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Sunset Hills, MO spine specialists will work in tandem with you and your doctor to come up with a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the activities you love and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like stenosis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy is an effective part of a holistic treatment plan that eases symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If what’s ailing you requires surgery, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Sunset Hills, MO to help you be healthy for surgery and recovery quickly and safely.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Sunset Hills, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to a paper published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, without the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Sunset Hills, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to limit long-term opioid dependence.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and design a treatment plan based on your medical history, how old you are, and your desired activity level. Through numerous different exercises and manual manipulations, physical therapy can limit symptoms, help your spine and nervous system function better, enhance flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on your specific condition, your Sunset Hills, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Hands-On Care — Our Sunset Hills, MO manual therapists are able to use light pressures and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Hand-on services we may use to treat you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. Beyond managing pain now, guided exercise will also help overall function and improve movement health. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s incredibly frustrating to believe you’ve gotten past an injury, only to aggravate it. We help you understand your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you’ll know how to stay healthy in the future. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Sunset Hills, MO will be comprehensive and focused on getting you to optimal function and keeping you there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will designed based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other conditions we help treat in Sunset Hills, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Sunset Hills, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition prevent you from living the life you want. At Axes, our Sunset Hills, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you do not have to choose to live with it. For a licensed and qualified Sunset Hills, MO spine specialist to treat you, schedule an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location closest to you