Spine Specialist Near Me in Owensville, MO
Spine specialist near me in Owensville, MO. Spine injuries can make normal activities like bending over painful, and disrupt how our bodies function. For athletes, back injuries can keep you from being at peak performance. For workers, it can impede your ability to provide for your Owensville, MO family. For others, it can keep us from going on bike ride or playing with our children as we’d like to. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help return to what you love doing most. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the lifestyle you desire. If you’re ready to finally be free from a crippling back condition, schedule an appointment with an Axes Owensville, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.
According to Missouri law, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are living with chronic pain, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Owensville, MO is what you need. In the meantime, take advantage of one of Axes’ free injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It begins at the base of your skull and ends at your pelvis. The spine consists of:
There are 33 vertebrae stacked along the spine, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions allow us to move; the others are immobile.
Each vertebra is connected to two facet joints which connect the bones to each other. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. They are lined with cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that absorb shock and prevent the vertebrae from grinding against each other. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a “gel-like” middle known as the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb impact, and a tough, circular exterior called the annulus fibrosus that surrounds and protects the nucleus pulposus.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular collection of nerves, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves go into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The nerves branch out to other parts of the body through openings in the vertebrae called the neural foramen. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
The spine also has muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments attach bones together, hold them together, and give them structure. Muscles are connected to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. A variety of factors can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can keep you from the activities you love most. When that happens, a spine specialist in Owensville, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Owensville, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians developed guidelines that include certain physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a daily basis or recently suffered a work injury, Axes’ Owensville, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we treat in Owensville, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be the result of either acute trauma or general degradation as we get older. They can impinge on a nerve which can be painful and limit mobility. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is an umbrella term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and originates near your tailbone. Symptoms include debilitating pain, weakness, and tingling from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. Symptoms include pain, balance issues, and loss of sensation in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It onsets as the cartilage between the joints degrades over time or from overuse. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a clear, diagnosable cause. Common causes are obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with soft tissue injuries such as whiplash.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Owensville, MO spine specialists will work with you and your doctor to come up with a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the things you love doing most and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like degenerative disc disease, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a holistic treatment plan that eases symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Owensville, MO to help your surgery go as well as possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Owensville, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-surgical option for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a paper published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, and doesn’t involve the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Owensville, MO physical therapist is proven to limit long-term opioid dependence.
A professional spine specialist will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and design a treatment plan based on your injures, how old you are, and your desired activity level. Through numerous different exercises and techniques, physical therapy can reduce pain, improve the function of your spine by increasing strength and flexibility, enhance flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Conditions
Depending on what is causing your back pain or other symptoms, your Owensville, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Manual Therapy — Our Owensville, MO manual therapists are able to use subtle manipulations and stretches to decrease back pain caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Hand-on services we may include in your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for getting your body stronger and more flexible. Beyond decreasing pain now, certain exercises will allow you to maintain a healthy spine when you’re on the move. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’re moving on from an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We’ll educate you about the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you’ll know how to protect your spine while being active. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Owensville, MO will be holistic and focused on getting you to optimal function and helping you stay there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will designed based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other conditions we help treat in Owensville, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Owensville, MO
Don’t allow a back injury keep you from the activities you love. At Axes, our Owensville, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you do not have to choose to live with it. For a licensed and knowledgeable Owensville, MO spine specialist to treat you, schedule an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location closest to you