Spine Specialist Near Me in Truesdale, MO
Spine specialist near me in Truesdale, MO. Spinal conditions can make normal activities like bending over excruciating, and keep us from optimal movement health. For physically active people, back issues can prevent you from being at peak performance. For workers, it can hinder your ability to provide for your Truesdale, MO loved ones. For others, it can prevent us from taking walks or other physical activities. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to the functional and pain-free life you’re seeking. By creating a personalized treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re prepared to finally be free from a crippling back condition, schedule an evaluation with an Axes Truesdale, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §334.506, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or living with chronic pain, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Truesdale, MO is right for you. In the meantime, visit one of our offices for one of Axes’ complimentary injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and plays a fundamental role in most movements and how the body communicates with itself. It extends from the base of your skull to your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
The spine has 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that form the backbone. Every vertebra has a hole in the center to safeguard the spinal cord and its nerves. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions provide mobility; the others are fused when we’re babies.
Each vertebra is connected to two facet joints which connect the bones to each other. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move without grinding against each other.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb the stress and shock the body incurs when moving. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a softer center called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that surrounds and protects the gel-like center.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular collection of nerves, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves go into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The neural foramen are openings in the vertebrae where the nerves to go into other parts of the body. The spinal cord carries messages between our brain and other parts of our body.
The spine also has various types of soft tissue. Ligaments attach bones together, hold them in place, and give them structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. A variety of factors can interfere with the spine and keep you from the activities you love most. When that happens, a spine specialist in Truesdale, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to doing what you love most.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Truesdale, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians recommends a variety of physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a daily basis or recently suffered a sports injury, Axes’ Truesdale, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we treat in Truesdale, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either acute trauma or general degradation as we get older. They put pressure on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and originates near your tailbone. It can lead to crippling pain, weakness, and numbness from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the space inside your backbone is too small. Symptoms include pain, balance problems, and numbness or tingling in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is the inflammation of the facet joints. It occurs as the cartilage between the joints wears down over time or from over-exertion. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain isn’t brought on by a clear, diagnosable cause. Nonspecific back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Truesdale, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your physician to come up with a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the activities you love and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like degenerative disc disease, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy is an effective part of a comprehensive wellness routine that eases symptoms and achieves optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Truesdale, MO to help attain the best results possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Truesdale, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to a paper published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, without the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Truesdale, MO physical therapist is proven to reduce long-term opioid dependence.
A licensed spine specialist will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and develop a treatment plan based on your medical history, your age, and your desired activity level. Through a variety of exercises and techniques, physical therapy can limit symptoms, help your spine and nervous system function better, boost range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Issues
Depending on what is causing your back pain or other symptoms, your Truesdale, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help get you back to what you love doing most:
- Hands-On Care — Our Truesdale, MO manual therapists are experts at using subtle pressures and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Manual therapy we may use to treat you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. In addition to decreasing pain now, guided exercise will also help overall function and improve movement health. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’ve gotten past an injury, only to aggravate it. We help you understand the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you can learn how to be active safely. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Truesdale, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to optimal function and keeping you there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will designed based on time-tested techniques.
Other services we offer in Truesdale, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Truesdale, MO
Don’t let a back injury keep you from the activities you love. At Axes, our Truesdale, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with back pain, but you do not have to decide to live with it. For a licensed and qualified Truesdale, MO spine specialist to treat you, schedule an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location closest to you