Spine Specialist Near Me in Ozark View, MO
Spine specialist near me in Ozark View, MO. Lower back pain can make everyday activities like standing up painful, and keep us from our best possible movement health. For people who play sports, back injuries can keep you from being at the top of their game. For breadwinners, it can hinder your ability to provide for your Ozark View, MO loved ones. For others, it can keep us from taking walks or playing with our grandkids like we love doing. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help you get back to the functional and pain-free life you’re seeking. By developing a custom treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the mobility and pain relief your body needs to function, and that you need to live your best life. If you’re ready to at long last be free from a crippling back condition, request an evaluation with an Axes Ozark View, MO spine specialist, or get in touch with the Axes location nearest you.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §334.506, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or find that back pain is keeping you from the activities you love, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Ozark View, MO can be safe and effective for you. In the meantime, visit one of our offices for one of Axes’ free injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It starts at the base of your skull and ends at your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
There are 33 vertebrae stacked along the spine, which are small bones that form the backbone. Every vertebra has a hole in the center to protect the spinal cord and its nerves. There are five vertebral groups. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions allow us to move; the others are fused when we’re babies.
Facet joints connect the vertebrae. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move without grinding against each other.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that absorb shock and prevent the vertebrae from grinding against each other. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a softer middle called the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb impact, and a tough, circular exterior called the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular collection of nerves, from your brain to your pelvis, where the nerves extend into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by spinal fluid and a membrane called dura mater. The nerves extend to other parts of the body through openings in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
Surrounding and within the spine are also muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments attach vertebrae, hold them in place, and give them structure. Muscles are connected to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
Achieving the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different factors can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can keep you from the activities you love most. If you’re living with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Ozark View, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to the lifestyle you desire.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Ozark View, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians recommends numerous physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a daily basis or recently suffered a work injury, Axes’ Ozark View, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we treat in Ozark View, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either an injury or wear and tear from aging. They can impinge on a nerve which can be painful and limit mobility. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is a general term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and begins near your tailbone. It can lead to crippling pain, weakness, and tingling through your buttock and leg.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the space inside your backbone is too small. It can cause pain, problems with walking or other movements, and numbness or tingling in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It occurs as the cushioning between the joints degrades over time or from over-exertion. Obesity, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions can also lead to arthritis. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also known as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a clear, diagnosable cause. Common causes are obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Ozark View, MO spine specialists will work in concert with you and your physician to design an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the things you love doing most and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like stenosis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy can be part of a holistic wellness routine that eases symptoms and returns optimal mobility.
If what’s ailing you requires surgery, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Ozark View, MO to help your surgery go as well as possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Ozark View, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-surgical option for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to research published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, and doesn’t involve the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Ozark View, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to limit the risk of long-term opioid use.
A qualified spine specialist will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and design a treatment plan based on your medical history, how old you are, and your desired activity level. Through numerous different exercises and manual manipulations, physical therapy can reduce pain, improve the function of your spine by increasing strength and flexibility, increase flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on your specific condition, your Ozark View, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Hands-On Care — Our Ozark View, MO manual therapists are able to use light manipulations and stretches to decrease back pain due to spinal issues. Manual therapy we may use to help you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for getting your body stronger and more flexible. Beyond decreasing pain now, certain exercises will also help overall function and improve movement health. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’re moving on from an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We help you understand the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you can learn how to be active safely. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Ozark View, MO will be comprehensive and focused on getting you to your best possible movement health and keeping you there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will designed based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other services we offer in Ozark View, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Ozark View, MO
Don’t let a spine condition keep you from what you love doing most. At Axes, our Ozark View, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you do not have to decide to live with it. For a licensed and qualified Ozark View, MO spine specialist to treat you, request an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy today or contact the location most convenient for you