Spine Specialist Near Me in Woodson Terrace, MO
Spine specialist near me in Woodson Terrace, MO. Lower back issues can make everyday tasks like standing up painful, and disrupt how our bodies function. For physically active people, back injuries can keep you from being at the top of their game. For breadwinners, it can prevent you from providing for your Woodson Terrace, MO family. For others, it can keep us from taking walks or other physical activities. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help return to what you love doing most. By creating a custom treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the movement health and pain relief your body needs to be at its best, and that you need to live your best life. If you’re ready to at long last be free from a crippling back condition, schedule an appointment with an Axes Woodson Terrace, MO spine specialist, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §334.506, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are find that back pain is keeping you from the activities you love, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Woodson Terrace, MO is right for you. You can also visit one of our locations for one of Axes’ complimentary injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and allows our brain and body to coordinate with each other. It starts at the base of your brain and ends at your pelvis. The spine consists of:
The spine has 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. Every vertebra has a hole in the center to protect the spinal cord and its nerves. There are five vertebral regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions are the only ones that can move; the others are immobile.
Each vertebra is connected to two facet joints which connect the bones to each other. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move without grinding against each other.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a “gel-like” middle called the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb impact, and a tough, circular exterior called the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord consists of nerves running up the bones in your spine, from your brain to your tailbone, where the nerves extend into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by spinal fluid and a membrane called dura mater. The neural foramen are openings in the vertebrae that allow the nerves to go into other parts of the body. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
The spine also has muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments connect bones together, hold them in place, and give them structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
A healthy spine relies on all of these systems to function properly and in unison to achieve optimal movement health and a pain free life. Numerous different conditions can interfere with the spine and greatly limit your ability to enjoy the things you love doing. When that happens, a spine specialist in Woodson Terrace, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to doing what you love most.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Woodson Terrace, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians recommends numerous physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a everyday basis or recently suffered a sports injury, Axes’ Woodson Terrace, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we treat in Woodson Terrace, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be due to either an injury or wear and tear from aging. They put pressure on a nerve which can be painful and limit mobility. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is an umbrella term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and begins in the lower spine. It can cause to crippling pain, weakness, and tingling down one side of your body.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It can cause pain, problems with walking or other movements, and loss of sensation in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It occurs as the cartilage between the joints wears down over time or from over-exertion. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Axial back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Woodson Terrace, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your doctor to come up with a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the things you love doing most and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like degenerative disc disease, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy is an effective part of a holistic treatment plan that eases symptoms and achieves optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Woodson Terrace, MO to help attain the best results possible.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For You in Woodson Terrace, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-surgical option for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a paper published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, and doesn’t involve the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Woodson Terrace, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to reduce the risk of long-term opioid use.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and design a treatment plan based on your injures, your age, and your desired activity level. Through a variety of exercises and manual manipulations, physical therapy can reduce pain, help your spine and nervous system function better, enhance range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on what is causing your back pain or spine dysfunction, your Woodson Terrace, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Hands-On Care — Our Woodson Terrace, MO manual therapists are able to use subtle manipulations and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Manual therapy we may include in your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for getting your body stronger and more flexible. Beyond limiting pain now, guided exercise will also help overall function and improve movement health. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s incredibly frustrating to believe you’ve overcome an injury, only to aggravate it. We’ll educate you about your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you’ll know how to stay healthy in the future. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Woodson Terrace, MO will be comprehensive and focused on getting you to your best possible movement health and keeping you there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will designed based on proven techniques.
Other services we offer in Woodson Terrace, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Woodson Terrace, MO
Don’t let a spine condition keep you from what you love doing most. At Axes, our Woodson Terrace, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with this condition, but you can choose to do something about it. For a licensed and qualified Woodson Terrace, MO spine specialist to help you, schedule an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy now or reach out to the location closest to you