Spine Specialist Near Me in Wentzville, MO
Spine specialist near me in Wentzville, MO. Lower back pain can make normal activities like laying down excruciating, and interrupt how our bodies function. For physically active people, back problems can keep you from being at the top of their game. For breadwinners, it can obstruct your ability to put food on the table for your Wentzville, MO family. For others, it can keep us from taking the dog for a walk or playing with our children like we love doing. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help you get back to the functional and pain-free life you’re seeking. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the movement health and pain relief your body needs to function, and that you need to live your best life. If you’re ready to finally be free from a crippling back condition, request an evaluation with an Axes Wentzville, MO spine specialist, or get in touch with the Axes location most convenient for you.
Missouri Revised Statute §334.506 mandates that a prescription is required for physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are living with chronic pain, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Wentzville, MO can be safe and effective for you. You can also visit one of our locations for one of Axes’ complimentary injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and allows our brain and body to coordinate with each other. It starts at the base of your brain and ends at your tailbone. The spine consists of:
There are 33 vertebrae from the top to bottom of the spine, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. There are five vertebral regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions allow us to move; the others are fused when we’re babies.
Each vertebra is connected to two facet joints which connect the bones to each other. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. They are lined with cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move without grinding against each other.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a “gel-like” middle called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that surrounds and protects the nucleus pulposus.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular structure, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves go into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by spinal fluid and a membrane called dura mater. The nerves branch out to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae called the neural foramen. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
Surrounding and within the spine are also muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments attach bones together and holds them in the correct structure. Muscles are connected to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
Achieving the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. A variety of factors can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can severely limit your ability to enjoy the things you love doing. When that happens, a spine specialist in Wentzville, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Wentzville, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians developed guidelines that include a variety of physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently sustained a sports injury, Axes’ Wentzville, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we treat in Wentzville, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be the result of either acute trauma or wear and tear from aging. They put pressure on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is a general term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins in the lower spine. Symptoms include crippling pain, weakness, and numbness from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. Symptoms include pain, problems with walking or other movements, and loss of sensation in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is swelling or tenderness in one or more joints. It occurs as the cartilage between the joints degrades over time or from overuse. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the facet joints of the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also referred to as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a clear, diagnosable cause. Axial back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with soft tissue injuries such as muscle strains.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Wentzville, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your physician to come up with a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the activities you love and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like arthritis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy can be part of a comprehensive wellness routine that reduces pain and other symptoms and achieves optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Wentzville, MO to help you be healthy for surgery and recovery quickly and safely.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For Me in Wentzville, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to research published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, without the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Wentzville, MO physical therapist is proven to limit long-term opioid dependence.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and create a treatment plan based on your injures, how old you are, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through a variety of exercises and manual manipulations, physical therapy can reduce pain, help your spine and nervous system function better, enhance flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Issues
Depending on what is causing your back pain or spine dysfunction, your Wentzville, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help return you to what you love doing most:
- Hands-On Care — Our Wentzville, MO manual therapists are able to use subtle pressures and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Hand-on services we may use to help you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. Beyond limiting symptoms now, certain exercises will also help overall function and improve movement health. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’ve gotten past an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We’ll educate you about your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you can learn how to be active safely. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Wentzville, MO will be exhaustive and focused on getting you to optimal movement health and keeping you there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will designed based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other services we offer in Wentzville, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Wentzville, MO
Don’t let a spine condition keep you from living the life you want. At Axes, our Wentzville, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with this condition, but you can choose to do something about it. For a professional and knowledgeable Wentzville, MO spine specialist to treat you, schedule an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy now or find the location nearest you