Spine Specialist Near Me in Knob Lick, MO
Spine specialist near me in Knob Lick, MO. Lower back issues can make everyday activities like bending over painful, and disrupt how our bodies function. For people who play sports, back problems can keep you from being at peak performance. For workers, it can prevent you from providing for your Knob Lick, MO family. For others, it can keep us from going on bike ride or other physical activities. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help you get back to what you love doing most. By developing a personalized treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re ready to at long last be free from debilitating back pain, schedule an evaluation with an Axes Knob Lick, MO spine specialist, or get in touch with the Axes location most convenient for you.
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §334.506, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are find that back pain is keeping you from the activities you love, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Knob Lick, MO is right for you. You can also take advantage of one of Axes’ free injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It extends from the base of your brain to your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
There are 33 vertebrae stacked along the spine, which are small bones that form the backbone. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. There are five vertebral groups. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions provide mobility; the others are fused into place.
Facet joints connect the vertebrae. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that absorb the stress and shock the body incurs when moving. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a softer middle known as the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb impact, and an outer ring of tough fibers known as the annulus fibrosus that prevent the gel-like center from leaking out.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular structure, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves continue into your lower extremities. The spinal cord is protected by spinal fluid and a membrane called dura mater. The neural foramen are openings in the vertebrae that allow the nerves to go into other parts of the body. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
The spine also has muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments connect bones together, hold them in place, and give them structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different factors can interfere with the spine and severely limit your ability to enjoy the things you love doing. If you’re dealing with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Knob Lick, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to the lifestyle you desire.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Knob Lick, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians recommends a variety of physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a daily basis or recently sustained a work injury, Axes’ Knob Lick, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we treat in Knob Lick, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be due to either an injury or wear and tear from aging. They can impinge on a nerve which can be painful and limit function. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is a general term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins near your tailbone. It can cause to debilitating pain, weakness, and numbness down one side of your body.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It can cause pain, problems with walking or other movements, and loss of sensation in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It occurs as the cartilage between the joints wears down over time or from overuse. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Nonspecific back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Knob Lick, MO spine specialists will work in tandem with you and your physician to come up with a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the things you love doing most and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like stenosis, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a holistic treatment plan that reduces pain and other symptoms and returns optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Knob Lick, MO to help your surgery go as well as possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Knob Lick, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to a study published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, without the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Knob Lick, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to reduce the risk of long-term opioid use.
A knowledgeable and experienced spine specialist will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and create a treatment plan based on your injures, your age, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through numerous different exercises and techniques, physical therapy can limit symptoms, help your spine and nervous system function better, increase flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Issues
Depending on what is causing your back pain or spine dysfunction, your Knob Lick, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help get you back to what you love doing most:
- Manual Therapy — Our Knob Lick, MO manual therapists are experts at using light pressures and stretches to decrease back pain caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Manual therapy we may include in your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. In addition to managing symptoms now, certain exercises will allow you to maintain a healthy spine when you’re on the move. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’ve overcome an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We’ll educate you about your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you’ll know how to protect your spine while being active. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Knob Lick, MO will be exhaustive and focused on getting you to your best possible movement health and helping you stay there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will be based on time-tested techniques.
Other services we offer in Knob Lick, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Knob Lick, MO
Don’t let a back injury keep you from what you love doing most. At Axes, our Knob Lick, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you can choose to do something about it. For a professional and qualified Knob Lick, MO spine specialist to help you, schedule an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location closest to you