Spine Specialist Near Me in Warrenton, MO
Spine specialist near me in Warrenton, MO. Lower back pain can make basic activities like sitting up difficult, and disrupt how our bodies function. For people who play sports, back issues can prevent you from being at peak performance. For workers, it can impede your ability to put food on the table for your Warrenton, MO loved ones. For others, it can keep us from taking the dog for a walk or other physical activities. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help you get back to the functional and pain-free life you’re seeking. By creating a custom treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the strength, flexibility, and pain relief your body needs to be at its best, and that you need to live your best life. If you’re prepared to finally move on from the issues holding you back, schedule an appointment with an Axes Warrenton, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §334.506, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are find that back pain is disrupting your daily life, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Warrenton, MO is what you need. You can also take advantage of one of Axes’ free injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and plays a fundamental role in most movements and how the body communicates with itself. It starts at the base of your skull and ends at your pelvis. The spine is made up of:
There are 33 vertebrae stacked along the spine, which are small bones that form the backbone. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. There are five vertebral regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions provide mobility; the others are immobile.
Facet joints connect the vertebrae. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a softer center called the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb shock, and an outer ring of tough fibers called the annulus fibrosus that surrounds and protects the gel-like center.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular structure, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves extend into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by spinal fluid and a membrane called dura mater. The nerves extend to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae called the neural foramen. The spinal cord carries messages between our brain and other parts of our body.
Surrounding and within the spine are also muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments attach vertebrae and holds them in the correct structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
A healthy spine needs all of these different structures to function properly and in unison to achieve optimal movement health and a pain free life. Numerous different conditions can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can keep you from the activities you love most. If you’re living with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Warrenton, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to the lifestyle you desire.
What Conditions Can a Spine Specialist in Warrenton, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians recommends a variety of physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a everyday basis or recently sustained a work injury, Axes’ Warrenton, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we help with in Warrenton, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be due to either acute trauma or general degradation from aging. They can impinge on a nerve which can be painful and limit mobility. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is a general term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins near your tailbone. Symptoms include debilitating pain, weakness, and numbness down one side of your body.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the space inside your backbone is too small. It can cause pain, balance problems, and numbness or tingling in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It onsets as the cartilage between the joints wears down over time or from overuse. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which can affect the facet joints of the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also known as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Axial back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with soft tissue injuries such as muscle strains.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Warrenton, MO spine specialists will work with you and your doctor to design a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the activities you love and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like stenosis, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a comprehensive wellness routine that eases symptoms and achieves optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Warrenton, MO to help your surgery go as well as possible.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For Me in Warrenton, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-surgical option for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, without the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Warrenton, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to reduce long-term opioid dependence.
A knowledgeable and experienced spine specialist will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and develop a treatment plan based on your current and previous medical conditions, your age, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through numerous different exercises and manual therapy, physical therapy can limit symptoms, improve the function of your spine by increasing strength and flexibility, increase range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Conditions
Depending on what is causing your back pain or other symptoms, your Warrenton, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help get you back to what you love doing most:
- Hands-On Care — Our Warrenton, MO manual therapists are experts at using light manipulations and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may incorporate into your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for getting your body stronger and more flexible. Beyond decreasing pain now, certain exercises will allow you to maintain a well-functioning spine while going to work or doing the activities you love most. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’re moving on from an injury, only to aggravate it. We’ll educate you about the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you’ll know how to stay healthy in the future. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Warrenton, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to optimal movement health and keeping you there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will be based on time-tested techniques.
Other conditions we help treat in Warrenton, MO include:
- Total Knee Replacement Physical Therapy
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Warrenton, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition keep you from living the life you want. At Axes, our Warrenton, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you can choose to do something about it. For a licensed and experienced Warrenton, MO spine specialist to help you, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or find the location closest to you