Spine Specialist Near Me in Murphy, MO
Spine specialist near me in Murphy, MO. Spinal conditions can make basic activities like sitting up excruciating, and disturb how our bodies function. For physically active people, back issues can keep you from being at peak performance. For workers, it can obstruct your ability to put food on the table for your Murphy, MO family. For others, it can prevent us from taking walks or other physical activities. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help you get back to what you love doing most. By developing a personalized treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the movement health and pain relief your body needs to be at its best, and that you need to live your best life. If you’re prepared to at long last move on from the issues holding you back, schedule an evaluation with an Axes Murphy, MO spine specialist, or call the Axes location most convenient for you.
Missouri law mandates that a prescription is required for physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or find that back pain is disrupting your daily life, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Murphy, MO is what you need. In the meantime, take advantage of one of our no-obligation injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It extends from the base of your skull to your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
There are 33 vertebrae stacked along the spine, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. The spinal cord and nerves run through holes in the middle of each vertebra. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions provide mobility; the others are fused into place.
Facet joints connect the vertebrae. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move without grinding against each other.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that absorb the stress and shock the body incurs when moving. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a “gel-like” center called the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior called the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord consists of nerves that travel through the vertebrae, from your brain to your pelvis, where the nerves go into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebral column. The nerves extend to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
Surrounding and within the spine are also various types of soft tissue. Ligaments connect vertebrae, hold them together, and give them structure. Muscles are attached to bones by tendons, and power their movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different factors can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can keep you from the activities you love most. If you’re dealing with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Murphy, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to doing what you love most.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Murphy, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians recommends a variety of physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a daily basis or recently suffered a work injury, Axes’ Murphy, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we treat in Murphy, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be due to either an injury or wear and tear as we get older. They can impinge on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is an umbrella term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and begins in the lumbar region. Symptoms include debilitating pain, weakness, and numbness from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It can cause pain, issues with walking or other movements, and loss of sensation in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It occurs as the cushioning between the joints degrades over time or from repeated trauma. Obesity, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions can also lead to arthritis. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the facet joints of the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also known as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Axial back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for soft tissue injuries such as whiplash.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Murphy, MO spine specialists will work in concert with you and your physician to develop an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the things you love doing most and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like arthritis, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a holistic treatment plan that eases symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If what’s ailing you requires surgery, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Murphy, MO to help you be healthy for surgery and recovery quickly and safely.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Murphy, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, without the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Murphy, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to reduce the risk of long-term opioid use.
A knowledgeable and experienced spine specialist will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and create a treatment plan based on your current and previous medical conditions, your age, and your desired activity level. Through a variety of exercises and manual manipulations, physical therapy can reduce pain, help your spine and nervous system function better, increase flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on what is causing your back pain or other symptoms, your Murphy, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Hands-On Care — Our Murphy, MO manual therapists are experts at using light pressures and stretches to decrease back pain caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Hand-on services we may use to help you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. In addition to managing symptoms now, guided exercise will also help overall function and improve movement health. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s incredibly frustrating to believe you’re moving on from an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We’ll educate you about the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you can learn how to be active safely. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Murphy, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to your best possible function and helping you stay there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will be based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other conditions we help treat in Murphy, MO include:
- Vestibular Therapy
- Concussion Treatment
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation
- Shin Splint Treatment
- Direct Access Physical Therapy
- Gait Analysis
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Dry Needling Near Me
- Tendonitis Treatment
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Murphy, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition keep you from the activities you love. At Axes, our Murphy, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you can choose to do something about it. For a licensed and qualified Murphy, MO spine specialist to help you, request an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy today or contact the location closest to you