Spine Specialist Near Me in O’Fallon, MO
Spine specialist near me in O’Fallon, MO. Lower back issues can make normal activities like laying down difficult, and disturb how our bodies function. For people who play sports, back problems can prevent you from being at peak performance. For breadwinners, it can hinder your ability to put food on the table for your O’Fallon, MO loved ones. For others, it can keep us from going on bike ride or other physical activities. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help you get back to what you love doing most. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re ready to finally move on from debilitating back pain, request an appointment with an Axes O’Fallon, MO spine specialist, or reach out to the Axes location most convenient for you.
According to Missouri Revised Statute §334.506, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or living with chronic pain, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in O’Fallon, MO can be safe and effective for you. You can also come see us for one of our complimentary injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and allows our brain and body to coordinate with each other. It starts at the base of your skull and ends at your pelvis. The spine is made up of:
There are 33 vertebrae from the top to bottom of the spine, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. Every vertebra has a hole in the middle to protect the spinal cord and its nerves. The vertebrae are grouped into five regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions are the only ones that can move; the others are immobile.
Facet joints connect the vertebrae. They allow your back and neck to extend, bend, twist, and rotate. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a softer middle called the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb shock, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular collection of nerves, from your brain to your tailbone, where the nerves continue into your lower body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebrae and other tissue. The nerves branch out to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
Surrounding and within the spine are also various types of soft tissue. Ligaments connect bones together and holds them in the correct structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. A variety of factors can interfere with the spine and keep you from the activities you love most. If you’re dealing with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in O’Fallon, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in O’Fallon, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians recommends a variety of physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a everyday basis or recently suffered a work injury, Axes’ O’Fallon, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we treat in O’Fallon, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be the result of either acute trauma or wear and tear from aging. They put pressure on a nerve which can be painful and limit function. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is a general term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and originates near your tailbone. It can lead to immense pain, weakness, and tingling down one side of your body.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It can cause pain, issues with walking or other movements, and numbness or tingling in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It occurs as the cushioning between the joints wears down over time or from overuse. Obesity, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions can also lead to arthritis. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which can affect the facet joints of the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a clear, diagnosable cause. Nonspecific back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy is also an effective treatment option for soft tissue injuries such as whiplash.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our O’Fallon, MO spine specialists will work with you and your doctor to come up with an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the things you love doing most and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like stenosis, won’t ever fully go away, physical therapy is an effective part of a comprehensive wellness routine that eases symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If your spine condition requires surgery, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in O’Fallon, MO to help attain the best results possible.
What a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist Can Do For You in O’Fallon, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-surgical option for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to a study published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, and doesn’t involve the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed O’Fallon, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to reduce long-term opioid dependence.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and create a treatment plan based on your medical history, your age, and your desired activity level. Through a variety of exercises and manual therapy, physical therapy can reduce pain, improve the function of your spine by increasing strength and flexibility, increase range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Conditions
Depending on your specific condition, your O’Fallon, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help get you back to what you love doing most:
- Manual Therapy — Our O’Fallon, MO manual therapists are able to use light pressures and stretches to decrease back pain caused by muscle or joint dysfunction. Manual therapy we may use to help you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. Beyond reducing symptoms now, certain exercises will also help overall function and improve movement health. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s beyond frustrating to believe you’re moving on from an injury, only to aggravate it. We’ll educate you about your injury and how it affects your body’s function, so you can learn how to be active safely. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in O’Fallon, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to optimal function and helping you stay there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will be based on time-tested techniques.
Other conditions we help treat in O’Fallon, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in O’Fallon, MO
Don’t let a back injury keep you from what you love doing most. At Axes, our O’Fallon, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. Your pain may not have been your choice, but you can choose to do something about it. For a professional and experienced O’Fallon, MO spine specialist to help you, schedule an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy now or find the location closest to you