Spine Specialist Near Me in Wilbur Park, MO
Spine specialist near me in Wilbur Park, MO. Lower back pain can make everyday tasks like standing up difficult, and disturb how our bodies function. For athletes, back issues can prevent you from being at the top of their game. For workers, it can prevent you from putting food on the table for your Wilbur Park, MO loved ones. For others, it can keep us from going on bike ride or playing with our grandkids as we’d like to. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to the functional and pain-free life you’re seeking. By developing a personalized treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you live your best life. If you’re prepared to finally be free from a crippling back condition, request an evaluation with an Axes Wilbur Park, MO spine specialist, or call the Axes location nearest you.
According to Missouri law, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or find that back pain is keeping you from the activities you love, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Wilbur Park, MO can be safe and effective for you. In the meantime, come see us for one of Axes’ complimentary injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It starts at the base of your skull and ends at your pelvis. The spine is made up of:
There are 33 vertebrae stacked along the spine, which are small bones that stack on top of each other to form the spinal canal. Every vertebra has a hole in the center to safeguard the spinal cord and its nerves. There are five vertebral groups. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions are the only ones that can move; the others are fused when we’re babies.
Facet joints are the small joints that connect the bony tips of vertebrae on the back of the spine. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move without grinding against each other.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb shock and prevent the vertebrae from grinding against each other. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a softer center known as the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and an outer ring of tough fibers called the annulus fibrosus that prevent the gel-like center from leaking out.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular structure, extending from the brain to your lumbar region, where the nerves extend into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by spinal fluid and a membrane called dura mater. The nerves branch out to other parts of the body through openings in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord allows our brain to tell our bodies to move, and our brains to receive sensory information from our body.
Surrounding and within the spine are also various types of soft tissue. Ligaments attach bones together and holds them in the correct structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. Numerous different conditions can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can severely limit your ability to enjoy the activities you love most. If you’re living with back pain or spine issues, a spine specialist in Wilbur Park, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Conditions Can a Spine Specialist in Wilbur Park, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians recommends numerous physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a everyday basis or recently suffered a sports injury, Axes’ Wilbur Park, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we provide relief and improved function for in Wilbur Park, MO include:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be the result of either acute trauma or general degradation as we get older. They can impinge on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins near your tailbone. It can lead to immense pain, weakness, and tingling down one side of your body.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. It can cause pain, balance problems, and numbness or tingling in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is swelling or tenderness in one or more joints. It occurs as the cartilage between the joints wears down over time or from repeated injuries. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also called nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain isn’t brought on by a clear, diagnosable cause. Nonspecific back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with soft tissue injuries such as muscle strains.
Whatever condition is currently ailing you, our Wilbur Park, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your physician to come up with an evidence-backed treatment plan to get you back to the activities you love and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like stenosis, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a comprehensive wellness routine that reduces pain and other symptoms and regains optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we offer pre- and post-surgical rehab in Wilbur Park, MO to help your surgery go as well as possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Wilbur Park, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-surgical option for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, without the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Wilbur Park, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to limit the risk of long-term opioid use.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and create a treatment plan based on your medical history, how old you are, and your desired activity level. Through numerous different exercises and techniques, physical therapy can limit symptoms, help your spine and nervous system function better, boost flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Issues
Depending on your specific condition, your Wilbur Park, MO spine specialist at Axes may include some of the following in your treatment plan:
- Manual Therapy — Our Wilbur Park, MO manual therapists are experts at using light pressures and stretches to decrease back pain due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may include in your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for getting your body stronger and more flexible. Beyond decreasing symptoms now, certain exercises will allow you to maintain a healthy spine while going to work or doing the activities you love most. Effective exercises for spine conditions include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’re moving on from an injury, only to aggravate it. We’ll educate you about the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you can learn how to be active safely. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Wilbur Park, MO will be exhaustive and focused on getting you to your best possible function and helping you stay there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will be based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other conditions we help treat in Wilbur Park, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Wilbur Park, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition prevent you from the activities you love. At Axes, our Wilbur Park, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with this condition, but you can choose to do something about it. For a licensed and qualified Wilbur Park, MO spine specialist to help you, request an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy today or reach out to the location most convenient for you