Spine Specialist Near Me in Winfield, MO
Spine specialist near me in Winfield, MO. Spine injuries can make basic tasks like bending over excruciating, and disturb how our bodies function. For athletes, back problems can keep you from being at the top of their game. For breadwinners, it can prevent you from providing for your Winfield, MO family. For others, it can keep us from taking walks or other physical activities. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to what you love doing most. By developing a personalized treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the lifestyle you desire. If you’re ready to at long last be free from the issues holding you back, schedule an evaluation with an Axes Winfield, MO spine specialist, or get in touch with the Axes location most convenient for you.
According to Missouri law, a doctor needs to prescribe physical therapy. If you’re dealing with a recent injury or find that back pain is keeping you from the activities you love, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Winfield, MO is what you need. You can also visit one of our offices for one of Axes’ no-obligation injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It starts at the base of your brain and ends at your tailbone. There are several different parts of your spine:
There are 33 vertebrae stacked along the spine, which are small bones that form the backbone. Every vertebra has a hole in the middle to safeguard the spinal cord and its nerves. There are five vertebral groups. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions are the only ones that can move; the others are immobile.
Facet joints are the small joints that connect the bony tips of vertebrae on the back of the spine. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. Between the joints and bones are cartilage and synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the flat, round cushions between the vertebrae that absorb the stress and shock the body incurs when moving. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a “gel-like” middle called the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb impact, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that surrounds and protects the gel-like center.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular collection of nerves, from your brain to your pelvis, where the nerves continue into your lower body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebrae and other tissue. The nerves extend to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae known as the neural foramen. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
Surrounding and within the spine are also muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments attach bones together and holds them in the correct structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
Living the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. A variety of conditions can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can significantly limit your ability to enjoy the activities you love most. When that happens, a spine specialist in Winfield, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Winfield, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians recommends certain physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently sustained a sports injury, Axes’ Winfield, MO spine specialists can help you live your best life. Some of the common conditions we treat in Winfield, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be due to either acute trauma or general degradation as we get older. They put pressure on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and can have symptoms similar to herniated discs.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is a general term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is our bodies’ longest nerves and begins near your tailbone. It can lead to immense pain, weakness, and numbness from your buttocks all the way down to your foot.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. Symptoms include pain, problems with walking or other movements, and loss of sensation in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It onsets as the cushioning between the joints degrades over time or from repeated injuries. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. There are over 100 types of arthritis, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also referred to as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a clear, diagnosable cause. Nonspecific back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with soft tissue injuries such as muscle strains.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Winfield, MO spine specialists will work with you and your doctor to develop a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the activities you love and a pain-free life. While some conditions, like arthritis, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a holistic wellness routine that eases symptoms and returns optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Winfield, MO to help your surgery go as well as possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Winfield, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a paper published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, without the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Winfield, MO physical therapist is proven to limit long-term opioid dependence.
A professional spine specialist will be able to determine what is causing your pain or other issues, and design a treatment plan based on your medical history, how old you are, and your desired activity level. Through a variety of exercises and manual manipulations, physical therapy can reduce pain, help your spine and nervous system function better, increase flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Issues
Depending on your specific condition, your Winfield, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help get you back to the activities you love:
- Manual Therapy — Our Winfield, MO manual therapists are able to use light pressures and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may incorporate into your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are essential for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. In addition to managing pain now, guided exercise will allow you to maintain a well-functioning spine when you’re on the move. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s beyond frustrating to believe you’re moving on from an injury, only to suffer another injury in the future. We help you understand the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you’ll know how to stay healthy in the future. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Winfield, MO will be based not on just recovery or pain relief, but on getting you to your best possible movement health and keeping you there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will designed based on proven techniques.
Other services we offer in Winfield, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Winfield, MO
Don’t let a back injury keep you from what you love doing most. At Axes, our Winfield, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with this condition, but you can choose to do something about it. For a licensed and knowledgeable Winfield, MO spine specialist to help you, schedule an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy now or contact the location most convenient for you