Spine Specialist Near Me in Weingarten, MO
Spine specialist near me in Weingarten, MO. Spine injuries can make everyday activities like bending over excruciating, and interrupt how our bodies function. For physically active people, back problems can prevent you from being at the top of their game. For workers, it can prevent you from providing for your Weingarten, MO family. For others, it can prevent us from going on bike ride or playing with our grandkids like we love doing. Physical therapists who specialize in the spine can help return to what you love doing most. Through safe and proven exercises and treatment plans, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the lifestyle you desire. If you’re ready to finally be free from debilitating back pain, request an appointment with an Axes Weingarten, MO spine specialist, or get in touch with the Axes location nearest you.
Missouri law mandates that a prescription is required for physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are living with chronic pain, ask your doctor if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Weingarten, MO is what you need. In the meantime, take advantage of one of our free injury screenings.
The Anatomy of the Spine
The spine supports both our physical bodies, and how our bodies communicate. It starts at the base of your skull and ends at your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
The spine consists of 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that form the backbone. Every vertebra has a hole in the center to safeguard the spinal cord and its nerves. There are five vertebral regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the first 3 regions allow us to move; the others are fused into place.
Facet joints are the small joints that connect the bony tips of vertebrae on the back of the spine. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. They are lined with cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid, allowing healthy bones and joints to safely glide and slide during movement.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. Every two vertebrae have one disc between them. Discs have a softer center called the nucleus pulposus, which gives them flexibility and allows them to absorb shock, and a tough, circular exterior called the annulus fibrosus that protect the disc and connect the vertebrae.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular collection of nerves, from your brain to your pelvis, where the nerves extend into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by the vertebrae and other tissue. The nerves branch out to other parts of the body through holes in the vertebrae called the neural foramen. The spinal cord carries messages between our brain and other parts of our body.
The spine also has various types of soft tissue. Ligaments attach vertebrae and holds them in the correct structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
A healthy spine relies on all of these different structures to function properly and in unison to achieve optimal movement health and a pain free life. Numerous different factors can interfere with the spine and keep you from the activities you love most. When that happens, a spine specialist in Weingarten, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can get you back to the lifestyle you desire.
What Injuries Can a Spine Specialist in Weingarten, MO Treat Me For?
The American College of Physicians recommends certain physical therapy treatments for people living with lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re dealing with pain on a everyday basis or recently sustained a work injury, Axes’ Weingarten, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we provide relief and improved function for in Weingarten, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either an injury or general degradation from aging. They put pressure on a nerve which can be painful and limit mobility. Degenerative disc disease occurs as the cushioning in your spine wears away, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica is an umbrella term for irritation of the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and begins in the lumbar region. Symptoms include crippling pain, weakness, and numbness through your buttock and leg.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the vertebral column is too small. It can cause pain, issues with walking or other movements, and loss of sensation in the extremities.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis is swelling or tenderness in one or more joints. It occurs as the cushioning between the joints degrades over time or from repeated injuries. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also referred to as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Nonspecific back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with muscle strains, whiplash, and other more acute injuries.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Weingarten, MO spine specialists will work with you and your doctor to develop a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the things you love doing most and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like degenerative disc disease, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a holistic wellness routine that reduces pain and other symptoms and returns optimal mobility.
If your spine condition requires surgery, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Weingarten, MO to help attain the best results possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Weingarten, MO
More and more people are turning to physical therapy as a non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of musculoskeletal conditions. According to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, physical therapy can get the same relief and results for some back pain as surgery, and doesn’t involve the same risk of complications. Early intervention by a licensed Weingarten, MO physical therapist has been demonstrated to reduce the risk of long-term opioid use.
A spine specialist like those at Axes Physical Therapy will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and create a treatment plan based on your injures, your age, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through a variety of exercises and techniques, physical therapy can limit symptoms, help your spine and nervous system function better, boost flexibility.
Physical Therapy for Spine Conditions
Depending on your specific condition, your Weingarten, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help return you to what you love doing most:
- Manual Therapy — Our Weingarten, MO manual therapists are experts at using light manipulations and stretches to alleviate symptoms and improve function due to spinal issues. Manual therapy we may use to treat you include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for getting your soft tissue, joints, and bones stronger and more flexible. In addition to decreasing symptoms now, guided exercise will allow you to maintain a healthy spine while going to work or doing the activities you love most. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — There’s nothing worse than believing you’ve gotten past an injury, only to aggravate it. We help you understand the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you’ll know how to protect your spine while being active. Injury prevention includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Weingarten, MO will be exhaustive and focused on getting you to optimal movement health and helping you stay there. Whatever your treatment plan includes, it will designed based on peer-reviewed studies that those techniques have been proven to work.
Other conditions we help treat in Weingarten, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Count on Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Weingarten, MO
Don’t let a spine condition prevent you from the activities you love. At Axes, our Weingarten, MO spine specialists are dedicated to positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with back pain, but you can choose to do something about it. For a professional and qualified Weingarten, MO spine specialist to treat you, schedule an appointment with Axes Physical Therapy now or find the location closest to you