Spine Specialist Near Me in Sappington, MO
Spine specialist near me in Sappington, MO. Spinal conditions can make everyday activities like laying down painful, and disrupt how our bodies function. For athletes, back problems can prevent you from being at peak performance. For workers, it can obstruct your ability to provide for your Sappington, MO loved ones. For others, it can prevent us from going on bike ride or playing with our grandkids as we’d like to. Physical therapists with a spine specialty can help you get back to what you love doing most. By creating a personalized treatment plan, based on techniques proven to work, Axes Physical Therapy can help you achieve the strength, flexibility, and pain relief your body needs to function, and that you need to live your best life. If you’re prepared to finally move on from the issues holding you back, schedule an evaluation with an Axes Sappington, MO spine specialist, or call the Axes location nearest you.
Missouri law mandates that a prescription is required for physical therapy. If you’re recovering from a back or neck injury, or are living with chronic pain, consult with your physician about if physical therapy with a spine specialist in Sappington, MO is what you need. You can also take advantage of one of Axes’ free injury screenings.
The Human Spine
The spine is our central support structure, and allows our brain and body to coordinate with each other. It extends from the base of your brain to your pelvis. There are several different parts of your spine:
The spine has 33 vertebrae, which are small bones that form the backbone. Every vertebra has a hole in the middle to protect the spinal cord and its nerves. There are five vertebral regions. There are:
- 7 vertebrae in the cervical region (your neck)
- 12 vertebrae in the thoracic region (your middle back)
- 5 vertebrae in the lumbar region (your lower back)
- 5 vertebrae in the sacrum region (the triangle shaped bone that connects to the hips)
- 4 vertebrae in the coccyx region (your tailbone)
The 24 vertebrae in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regions allow us to move; the others are fused into place.
Facet joints connect the vertebrae. They allow your back and neck to perform a variety of movements. They are lined with cartilage and lubricated with synovial fluid, allowing the bones to move without grinding against each other.
Discs are the circular cushions between the vertebrae that act as shock absorbers. There is one disc between each vertebra. Discs have a “gel-like” middle known as the nucleus pulposus, which allows for mobility and absorption, and a tough, circular exterior known as the annulus fibrosus that prevent the nucleus pulposus from leaking out.
The spinal cord is a long, thin, tubular collection of nerves, from your brain to your tailbone, where the nerves go into the lower part of your body. The spinal cord is protected by spinal fluid and a membrane called dura mater. The neural foramen are openings in the vertebrae where the nerves to go into other parts of the body. The spinal cord is how our bodies and brains communicate.
Surrounding and within the spine are also muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Ligaments attach bones together and holds them in the correct structure. Tendons attach muscles to the vertebrae, and the muscles are what powers the spine’s movement.
Achieving the lifestyle we want depends on all of these parts working together and functioning properly. A variety of factors can make the spine damaged or unhealthy, which can keep you from the activities you love most. When that happens, a spine specialist in Sappington, MO like Axes’ physical therapists can provide safe and effective relief.
What Conditions Can a Spine Specialist in Sappington, MO Help With?
The American College of Physicians recommends numerous physical therapy treatments for lower back pain and neck pain. Whether you’re living with chronic pain or recently sustained a sports injury, Axes’ Sappington, MO spine specialists can help get you feeling great again. Some of the common conditions we help with in Sappington, MO are:
- Disc Injuries — Herniated discs and bulging discs can be caused by either acute trauma or general degradation from aging. They put pressure on a nerve which can cause severe pain along your neck and back and limit strength. Degenerative disc disease occurs as a natural result of aging, and greatly decreases flexibility.
- Sciatica — Sciatica refers to a variety of conditions which irritate the sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body and begins near your tailbone. It can cause to debilitating pain, weakness, and numbness down one side of your body.
- Spinal Stenosis — Stenosis occurs when the spinal cavity becomes too narrow and puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. Symptoms include pain, balance problems, and numbness or tingling in your hands or feet.
- Spinal Arthritis — Arthritis describes several different types of joint disease. It onsets as the cartilage between the joints degrades over time or from repeated injuries. It can also be caused by autoimmune disorders. The term “arthritis” describes over a hundred conditions, most of which are possible in the spine.
- Axial Back Pain — Also known as nonspecific back pain, this refers to pain that doesn’t have a known, recognizable cause. Axial back pain can be caused by obesity or poor posture.
Physical therapy can also help with soft tissue injuries such as muscle strains.
Whatever is causing your back pain or injury, our Sappington, MO spine specialists will form a team with you and your physician to develop a treatment plan, based on proven strategies, and aimed at getting you back to the activities you love and a more comfortable life. While some conditions, like degenerative disc disease, can’t be “cured,” physical therapy can be part of a comprehensive wellness routine that eases symptoms and achieves optimal mobility.
If you need surgery on your spine, we can work with you in your pre- and post-surgical rehab in Sappington, MO to help your surgery go as well as possible.
Benefits of Working With a Physical Therapy Spine Specialist in Sappington, MO
Physical therapy is becoming an increasingly popular non-invasive treatment plan for a variety of issues affecting our musculoskeletal system. According to a paper published By the American College of Physicians, physical therapy is just as effective as surgery for certain types of back pain, without the same recovery time or risk of adverse side-effects. Early intervention by a licensed Sappington, MO physical therapist is proven to limit the risk of long-term opioid use.
A licensed spine specialist will be able to find the root cause of your back problems, and build a treatment plan based on your current and previous medical conditions, your age, and the lifestyle you wish to achieve or get back to. Through numerous different exercises and techniques, physical therapy can reduce pain, help your spine and nervous system function better, increase range of motion.
Physical Therapy for Spine Problems
Depending on what is causing your back pain or spine dysfunction, your Sappington, MO spine specialist at Axes may implement some of the following practices to help get you back to what you love doing most:
- Hands-On Care — Our Sappington, MO manual therapists are experts at using light manipulations and stretches to decrease back pain due to spinal issues. Hand-on services we may incorporate into your treatment plan include:
- Guided Exercise — Safe exercises are crucial for helping you build up strength, flexibility, and balance. Beyond limiting pain now, certain exercises will also help overall function and improve movement health. Exercises we might assign include:
- Core stabilization
- Postural retraining
- Cardio conditioning
- Strength training
- Home exercise
- Injury Prevention — It’s beyond frustrating to believe you’ve overcome an injury, only to aggravate it. We help you understand the musculoskeletal system and how yours is being affected, so you can learn how to be active safely. Our injury prevention program includes:
- Patient education
- Lifting education
- Activity modification
Your treatment plan in Sappington, MO will be comprehensive and focused on getting you to optimal function and keeping you there. However we recommend treating your spine condition or back pain, it will designed based on proven techniques.
Other services we offer in Sappington, MO include:
- Beginner Running Program
- Chronic Pain Treatment
- MCL Injury
- Shoulder Pain
- Injury Prevention
- Knee Injury
- Joint Pain
Call Axes For Your Spine Specialist Near Me in Sappington, MO
Don’t allow a spine condition prevent you from living the life you want. At Axes, our Sappington, MO spine specialists strive for positive patient outcomes. You didn’t decide to live with this condition, but you do not have to choose to live with it. For a licensed and knowledgeable Sappington, MO spine specialist to help you, schedule an evaluation with Axes Physical Therapy now or contact the location nearest you